Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking thoughts on a few random books...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking thoughts on a few random books...

I recently ordered (or bookmarked) some books and although I'd found mention of them in posts, I haven't been able to find anyone's opinions on them and it will doubtless be some time before they arrive or I get a chance to read them. so I'd love to hear what you thought of them.

ADVENTURES IN MY YOUTH: A German Soldier on the Eastern Front 1941-45 by Armin Scheiderbauer
    Armored Bears: Vol. 2, The German 3rd Panzer Division in World War II (Veterans of the 3rd Panzr Divi)
    An Infantryman in Stalingrad: From 24 September 1942 to 2 February 1943 by Adelbert Holl
    AN ARTILLERYMAN IN STALINGRAD - Memoirs of a Participant in the Battle. by Dr Wigand Wüster
    Nuremberg Diary by - G. M. Gilbert
    A German Tale: A Girl Surviving Hitler's Legacy by Erika V. Shearin Karres
    My Private War: Liberated Body, Captive Mind by Norman Bussel
    Under Himmler's Command: The Personal Recollection... by Hans-Georg Eismann
    A Mind in Prison: The Memoir of a Son and Soldier ... by Bruno Manz,
    Soldat - Reflections of a German Soldier 1936-1049... by Siegfried Knappe & Ted Brusaw
    The Hitler Book. The Secret Dossier Prepared for Stalin by Henrik Eberle

Allan

Originally posted by Herr Lyppe View Post
    An Infantryman in Stalingrad: From 24 September 1942 to 2 February 1943 by Adelbert Holl
    AN ARTILLERYMAN IN STALINGRAD - Memoirs of a Participant in the Battle. by Dr Wigand Wüster
    These two are brilliant, best books I ever read.

Truthfully, I published them, so I've got to say that, but I believe they are the best Stalingrad memoirs available. When I read them in German, I felt they were so good that they should be made available in English, so I worked with Holl's son and Dr. Wüster himself (he's still alive) to make it happen.

If you haven't ordered them yet, you can get them directly from me (I'm in Sydney) and you'll have them next week. Check out my website (www.leapinghorseman.com).

As for the other books, I've read "Armored Bears" volume 1 and it is great (it's a translation of one of the best divisional histories), so volume 2 will be more of the same. I read "Soldat" many years ago and remember it to be quite interesting.

All the best,
    Jason

Comment

I have to agree with Jason, the 2 Stalingrad memoirs are excellent! Get them while you can.
      Just finished reading "Adventures..." a bit slow going at first, but then gets better, though the lack of any maps was very frustrating.
      If you haven't already read the thread 'What are you currently reading" on this forum then I highly recommend doing so, I have found many good titles there that I am slowly reading through.

Comment

Thanks for the link to your site Jason. I'll certainly be in contact in the near future.

Erich, I'm well familiar with that thread and it has led me to some great titles. As I mentioned above, I'd found mention of a number of the titles but there was very little on the person's actual thoughts.

Thanks for your responses
        Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Lyppe View Post
          Soldat - Reflections of a German Soldier 1936-1049... by Siegfried Knappe & Ted Brusaw
          I read 'Soldat' several years ago and I have to say it is a very good read and well worth getting hold of a copy.

Knappe was a Staff Officer and his book is a useful insight into this seldom covered aspect of the Heer.

Regards Richard.
          Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X