New 2 Volume Release - Holders Of The Oakleaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 2 Volume Release - Holders Of The Oakleaves

The book is titled The Knight’s Cross with Oakleaves, 1940-1945: Biographies and Images of the 889 Recipients by British author Jeremy Dixon (who also authored Luftwaffe Generals: The Knights Cross Holders & Commanders Of Auschwitz). Image taken from AHF Thread (link below)

Not cheap but they look to be a great resource with 2 volumes covering all the holders of the Eichenlaub. In the US it is already available via Schiffer...
    http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschi...=9780764342660

...while in the UK it is to be released in a few weeks via Bushwood Books...
    http://www.bushwoodbooks.co.uk/book_...=9780764342660

And here is the authors thread on the books on AHF showing a sample page...
    http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...?f=19&t=197159

Amazon here in the USA has it listed for $75.00, a savings of $50.00 from it's list price.
    Alas, it's shown as temporarily unavaible, which can mean never again with Amazon.
    I took a brief glance at this set at the SOS, and it looks pretty good.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
      Amazon here in the USA has it listed for $75.00, a savings of $50.00 from it's list price.
      Alas, it's shown as temporarily unavaible, which can mean never again with Amazon.
      Bob Shoaf
      According to the AHF thread that is linked above Schiffer have said that Amazon won't be stocking it.

Comment

very nice.............

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
          According to the AHF thread that is linked above Schiffer have said that Amazon won't be stocking it.
          Yeap Amazon just canceled my order, was bought at US$75 which was an excellent price, however at US$125, a little too expensive to ship to New Zealand, no matter how good it is.

Comment

Schiffer has decided some titles they won't sell to dealers who give a discount, making those who carry said titles sign a paper they will not sell at less than retail price.

They are a bunch of beyond greed runs individuals, I don't even know if such a thing is legal. It isn't like they pay their authors a vast royalty to justify the new "policy."

Among other titles I'm aware of it includes the 2 volumes on Japanese Army Generals and Admirals.

But they already have so many loopholes and "ifs" in their dealings of all types it's a bit hard to follow all they do (or don't).

Have not seen the volumes as yet. Am owed a copy by the author for material contributed. Will comment once they are in hand.

Comment

I guess amazon refused to buy them from Schiffer because Schiffer insisted they sell it at retail price. In this respect I guess I'm on Amazon's side. Schiffer are being real idiots for doing this. They won't sell nearly as many books if they don't sell them to Amazon. This explains why all the other dealers selling these books are selling them for list price.

Comment

A pity.....the books look like useful items to own and so often it cannot be had .
                I do find Schiffer's to be a tad expensive and if the authors are not making money it must mean the company is.........
                What beats me is that they sell $ for £ in the Uk which makes for a very very expensive buy.
                IMHO as far as a good deal from a publisher of good books go RJB is hard to beat.
                Another company which is loath to give any discount is Fedorowicz...... being reasonable no one expects to get a decent book for nothing but some prices are rather extreme especially if one is buying from outside the US.

Comment

Schiffer does not give discounts on what they presume to be "limited" editions. That is why some books are not available to Amazon while others are discounted and can be found on their site at significant savings. Another "limited" edition was the book "Sport and the Third Reich". At the time the books are first announced, Amazon advertises them without the knowledge of whether or not they will be considered limited editions. Hence we all order from them, only to later find out that our great discount goes for naught.
                  In my mind Bender Publishing will always be the best for quality and information over all others publishers. Where the would hobby be without Roger Bender?
                  Just my opinion.

Mark Costa

Comment

Where indeed Mark .
                    The RK volumes IMO 2 books which will sell out.

Comment

Originally posted by behblc View Post
                      A pity.....the books look like useful items to own and so often it cannot be had .
                      I do find Schiffer's to be a tad expensive and if the authors are not making money it must mean the company is.........
                      What beats me is that they sell $ for £ in the Uk which makes for a very very expensive buy.
                      IMHO as far as a good deal from a publisher of good books go RJB is hard to beat.
                      Another company which is loath to give any discount is Fedorowicz...... being reasonable no one expects to get a decent book for nothing but some prices are rather extreme especially if one is buying from outside the US.
                      You can't image the postage costs from the US to other countries, we went airmail only and printed matter airmail no longer available, after 9/11.

It's insane. My books costs nearly 1/2 their cover price to send to Europe.

Fedrowicz seems to like to do large books, though the often fuzzy photos would look better if not blown up to huge sizes (and books would be smaller=cost less). But people want Tiger tank crewmen underwear vol. 5 type books so pay it.

Comment

Mark Y.
                        Fedrowicz seems to like to do large books, though the often fuzzy photos would look better if not blown up to huge sizes (and books would be smaller=cost less). But people want Tiger tank crewmen underwear vol. 5 type books so pay it.
                        Mark I did chuckle when I read about "Tiger tank crewmen underwear Vol. 5".
                        Unfortunately Fedrowicz's over enlarging of photos does happen and the outcome is a marked contrast to those which come out pin sharp.

Postage to the UK from the US is a killer and it must damage many potential sales , I know if you buy US books from UK dealers the $ becomes the £ as far as prices go , on top of which UK postage rates on occasions leave very little difference to the Airmail rates.
                        It is worth balancing it up before buying.

The Knights Cross and Oakleaves books from Jeremy (Dixon) , I bought a set from Jeremy and was delighted when they arrived yesterday, worth every penny I am very pleased with them and have absolutely no regrets.

In the meantime I will pass on Volumes 1-5 of "TTCMU."

Comment

Having had a few days with the set , suspicions confirmed, worth every penny.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X