Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions of the Book "Gulag" Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions of the Book "Gulag" Good or Bad?

This evening I made my rounds in the local bookstore and found a book written on the Soviet Gulags. It is a thick book, and unfortunately, I'm tapped out for the moment, but am giving serious thought on purchasing this when payday comes.

At the moment, I cannot remember who the author is, but does anyone have any opinions on this one, good or bad? What stands out is there is a photo of NKVD troops in the book, and someone had written across the photo in Russian the word "Murderers".

Would this be worth the $30.00 price?
    Thanks!

get it

Its a very well donebookby Anne Applebaum (sp?). She is a very dedicated researcher and has done a good job of making an academic type of book readable and personable. I read it last year; you might try E-bay for a used copy, a froend got one for $10 off it.

One of the GULAG bosses was General Nasdakin; his uniform is in a thread here somewhere.

DougD

Comment

amazon.com

they seem to have copies for as low as $4 for used ones; same book, save alot : )

DougD

Comment

Thanks Doug! I'll serf Ebay for a copy, and save money in the process!

Comment

Yes, a very good book.

Search for it at Amazon.com. They will also give you an option to buy it new or used from other sellers. If you click on the link, you could find a brand new copy for relatively little.

Comment

way to go

Originally posted by Bill Dienna
            Yes, a very good book.

Search for it at Amazon.com. They will also give you an option to buy it new or used from other sellers. If you click on the link, you could find a brand new copy for relatively little.
            I highly recommend this way as well....I've done it a number of x's +saved big time and Amazon stands behind the deal with its associated seller ...so if there is a problem ...you deal with Amazon (for me one book never turned up, Amazon refunded the dough)

Comment

You may want to read Alexander Solzhenytsyn's firsthand account of the GULAG hell. Either GULAG Archipelago or the shorter novel One Day in the Life of Ivan Denysovich would give a more personal description than a researcher's analysis.

Comment

I'll definately will have to not only get Applebaum's book, but also Solzhenytsyn's books as well to give me another perspective on the subject. I did find a book written by a former guard, I believe the title was "A Soldier For Beria" on Ebay. However, it is written in Russian, but I would love to find an English translation (if one exists) on that as well.

Comment

kudos

Originally posted by desantnik
                  You may want to read Alexander Solzhenytsyn's firsthand account of the GULAG hell. Either GULAG Archipelago or the shorter novel One Day in the Life of Ivan Denysovich would give a more personal description than a researcher's analysis.
                  Thats right...I think to know the real Gulag, I think one has to be aware of
                  Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich a great novel documenting the excesses and brutality of Stalin's Gulags...
                  as well I would include Arthur Koestler's excellent Darkness at Noon for the incredible look it gives in the "breaking" of a prisoner in the Stalin era...great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Queen
                    This evening I made my rounds in the local bookstore and found a book written on the Soviet Gulags. It is a thick book, and unfortunately, I'm tapped out for the moment, but am giving serious thought on purchasing this when payday comes.

At the moment, I cannot remember who the author is, but does anyone have any opinions on this one, good or bad? What stands out is there is a photo of NKVD troops in the book, and someone had written across the photo in Russian the word "Murderers".

Would this be worth the $30.00 price?
                    Thanks!
                    Yes Yes Yes, top buy my friend!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X