Wiking Div. history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiking Div. history

There are several out there. Any opinions on the different titles/authors?

thx

I hopefully have all, it depends on the type of study you want. Munin did both a III.SS-Panzer Korps history (Tieke) that sees an upperview as well as the official divisional history (Strassner). Both have been translated to English. They are, my term" formation unit histories vs any detail on the structure or individual personalities of the unit.

Klapdor's history of the Panzer Regiment has been done in English, as far as the tank unit it's far more detailed than the above two.

A 2 volume study (in German) has been done on Mühlenkamp, EL and Pz Rgt Kdr as well as one of the "Wiking" divisional commanders.

No self promotion intended, but when volume 7 of my SS/Police German Cross holders series is released (with publisher) you'll find a "beyond anal" amount of detail on the individual elements to include top to bottom level commanders, as well as obviously details on a large number of company and field grade commanders who are previously unknown

Comment

Think of how the veterans' histories of LAH, DR and TK are all multi-volume studies. The Wiking divisional history was written years earlier, in a different era. The veterans didn't know yet the demand there would be for so much detailed information. Thus, Strassner put together one medium-sized book to cover the entire history of Wiking. This is in English, and I'm surprised no cheap paperback edition has been released.

Other veterans later added their own bits of history. Klapdor assembled a history of SS-Panzer Regiment 5 that, as Mark observed, is more detailed than Strassner's book. That book is in English as Wiking Panzers, and can be obtained cheaply, so is very much worth getting.

The Westland Regiment veterans put together a book, under the direction of Fritz Hahl and Franz Hack. It is a nice collection of war-reporter photos and a moderate amount of text. It isn't essential, but has plenty of good information. The title is Panzergrenadiere der Panzer Division Wiking im Bild, and it is in German and English

Before that, the SS-Panzer Regiment 5 veterans under the direction of Rolf Proschek, but together the photo book Verweht sind die Spüren (Gone Without a Trace), that is only in German. This isn't essntial either, and much of the photographic material can be found in Paul Oosterling's 2-volume set on Johannes Rudolf Mühlenkampp and the men of his commands. These are very nice books, but quite expensive. It was prepared with veteran help, and so has rare photos and some anecdotes/accounts not found elsewhere (but also lifts passages, with permission, from Klapdor's book). It is German-only.

Günter Bernau and the SS-Panzer Artillerie Regiment 5 veterans put together a history of their unit that is also only in German. However, it is full of accounts and photos that aren't found in any other book. This makes it important for anyone doing a serious study of Wiking.

Two books I don't have, again German-only, are the veterans' histories of SS-Nachrichten Abteilung 5 and SS-Panzer Pioniere Bataillon 5. Mark might be able to comment on their usefulness, for anyone able to acquire copies!

A final book with some unique, useful information is the Dutch-language 4th volume of Nederlandse Vrijwilligers im Europese Krijgsdienst (Dutch Volunteers Serving in the European War). This volume covers Dutch volunteers in Wiking, along with supplementary information on Flemings in Wiking, since the series was published by Etnika, the publishing house of the Flemish Waffen-SS veterans association). The authors are Jan Vincx and Viktor Schotanius.

Comment

wiking

excellent bibliography. many thanks

Comment

I agree with the above posters. Strassner's book is good, but it is very "general." It is not really that detailed like the LAH, Das Reich, or HJ divisional histories. Klapdor's book is more personal and detailed, yet really only covers the Panzer Regiment.

Comment

oosterling

Just bought Vol. 1 after reading this review:

Paul Oosterling wrote this outstanding book about Johannes Muhlenkampf with the help of a couple of old veterans of this period. One of them was my father whose outstanding photographic memory helped the writer in stories and adventures of this famous Wiking division. Sadly my father didn't live to see this book coming out, he died march 15th 2003. Paul Oosterling gave to me, as a tribute to my father, one of the 1st original very luxury pressings and I could read all the stories my father and many other veterans have told and are now forever for everybody accesible. This book gives you a very good impression what this division has lived through the years they fought in Russia, Poland and Hungary. Outstanding performance of a elite soldiers division kept forever in this book.

Comment

vol 7 gc

"but when volume 7 of my SS/Police German Cross holders series is released"

got an eta on this?

tc

Comment

Echoe, that review you quote was written by Peter Kistemaker, son of Henk Kistemaker. Henk was a Dutch volunteer, who was with Wiking's replacement unit when Steiner came by for an inspection in the summer of 1943. The men formed ranks, and Steiner went along the lines, speaking to every man. When he got to Henk, the name and accent suggested he was a foreign volunteer. Steiner asked him if he was a Dutchman, and when Henk replied that he was, Steiner asked if he had any needs or requests.

Henk Kistemaker told Steiner that his real wish was to become a tanker, so Steiner arranged for his transfer to the II./SS-Panzer Regiment 5, which was just beginning to form. There, Henk became part of the crew of platoon commander Alfred Grossrock. Fred Grossrock went on to win the Knight's Cross, and Henk was fortunate NOT to be in his tank when it was knocked out in Hungary in the spring of 1945. Grossrock and his crew survived, but were captured and then executed.

These are the sort of anecdotes Henk Kistemaker was able to supply to Paul Oosterling for the Mühlenkamp project. As an aside, anyone who was active on the Feldgrau site a decade or so ago might remember Oosterling under his username there of "Tom Stein."

Comment

wiking

nice detail. can't wait for the book to arrive

Comment

Originally posted by echoe View Post
                    "but when volume 7 of my SS/Police German Cross holders series is released"

got an eta on this?

tc
                    Volume 7 ("Wiking" part I) is completed and already with the publisher. Is somewhere in the 400-425 pages range as far as size.

I'm near the end of volume 8 ("Wiking" part II) and organizing my material for volume 9 (all of "Totenkopf")

Volume 6 is at the printer along with a book by another author, Bender always releasing books in pairs. I expect copies around Christmas.

E-mail the Publisher your interest in the "Wiking" volume simply for motivation.

Marc pointed out volumes I did not, I'd assumed the original poster sought text data rather than photo albums. Those by Munin are often simply "mood shots" in their photo books (no value to me). Likewise foreign language was not on my list. Some Marc listed are difficult to find, such as the Bernau book and others (the Vincx volumes) are now very costly when found.

Comment

Henk Kistemaker

Does anyone know if Henk Kistemaker is still alive? We're trying to locate him to see if he can contribute an account of his participation in Operation "Ilse" that took place southwest of Kovel on 27 April 1944. I now he did an autobiography (in Dutch) a few years back, but not being able to speak Dutch, I thought I'd pose my questions to him in German.
                      Thanks!
                      Doug
                      Last edited by Doug Nash; 05-11-2016, 01:23 PM. Reason: Left out info

Comment

Hi Doug,

Kistemaker died in 2003. I can help you with the translation - drop me a PM if you're interested.

Regards,
                        Bert

Comment

Kistemaker

Thanks Bert - will do!

Comment

Wiking book

And volumes of Charles Trang of Heimdal Editions?

Waffen211

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X