Insignia and Artifacts of the Waffen-SS by Beaver, Bando and Shea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: French edition of SS Insignia book

Heimdal Publishing in France has released their version of the SS Insignia book, under the title 'Prises de Guerre' (Prizes of War) and the layout of almost every page has been done differently than in the English version. Some of the insignia images were made larger and the design of the pages was jumbled around, with a pleasing result. Although the text and captions are all in the French language, some American readers might want to get the French edition, just to enjoy the eye candy. It is really a pleasure to look at. The book can be ordered from Amazon.com in French ,and I will have a few of the French versions for sale at the SoS. next month. My only gripe about the book is that they did not put Mike Beaver's name on the cover. I did not know this was going to happen, until I held the published book in my hands. Heimdal had informed me that they wanted to place my name above Mike Beaver's on the cover, because they believe I have some name recognizition in France, as a WWII author. This made me believe that both of our names would still be on the cover, but they pulled a fast one on me. I am mortified by the result. But at least Mike's photo and a paragraph telling how he authored a series of SS uniform and headgear books and how he started this one and I finished it, can be found on the Introduction page of the French edition. I have already informed Bill Shea of the cover foul-up and he plans to make Mike Beaver's widow Maria aware of what happened. Anyhow, I know that many of you who want to get the English edition of this book have still not done so; I will re-post a link for ordering it in the near future. Also, be advised I (M. Bando) will have a table at the back of the SoS (sitting where the WWII vets sign books and autographed pics) and the SS Insignia book will be for sale there, at the end of February.
    A few collectors who donated the most examples of insignia to be shown from their collections, will receive a complimentary copy of the French edition, at the SoS.

Comment

Book ordering options

Here's a link to reviews, as well as ordering options, including paypal, for
      Insignia and Artifacts of the Waffen SS by Michael D. Beaver & Mark Bando:

http://www.101airborneww2.com/books.html

Comment

Mark, My daughter gave me a copy of the book for Christmas and I was quite pleased with it. I knew Mike here in NJ and he is missed.

On a lighter note my daughter gave me the gift of the book on Christmas Day and she says " When I called for the book the author that wrote it actually answered the phone". I guess she figured you were like Hemingway taking his own orders for "Whom the Bells Toll" for me.

Comment

That's funny Dennis

I don't recall getting that phonecall, but I'm flattered to know
          'somebody' thinks I'm a celebrity. ( I don't think Mike B. viewed
          himself that way and neither do I). Anyhow, I hope you are
          enjoying the book. Mark B.

Comment

Originally posted by M Bando View Post
            Here's a link to a public blog Kelly Hicks posted, telling of his
            acquisition of the grouping, while visiting Germany earlier this year:

http://www.militaryheadgear.com/arti...nd-Kelly-Hicks
            Mark, the link above no longer exists due to the site owner passing away. So I put some pictures up on my site recently. Here is a link to some of the items http://www.ss-steel-inc.com/cloth_gallery_page_2.html

Welcome to have a look, I hope all enjoy. Viewers should scroll to the bottom of the page to see these particular items--the last two postings are the cap, tunic and partial array photos.
            Thanks and Best Regards,
            Kelly

Comment

What a wonderful group! The quality of construction of the cap with it's flatwire TK and eagle, and tunic and all it's bullion insignia is simply marvelous!

I can only image the excitement of acquiring these pieces... thanks for posting the link Kelly.
              Last edited by herrgeezer; 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

nice quality cap!

Here the papers at the German auction house sold them for 17.5k Euro plus 9,24 % zzgl. ges. MwSt. = 11 %.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Robert and David

Comment

Originally posted by M Bando View Post
                    Heimdal Publishing in France has released their version of the SS Insignia book, under the title 'Prises de Guerre' (Prizes of War) and the layout of almost every page has been done differently than in the English version. Some of the insignia images were made larger and the design of the pages was jumbled around, with a pleasing result. Although the text and captions are all in the French language, some American readers might want to get the French edition, just to enjoy the eye candy. It is really a pleasure to look at. The book can be ordered from Amazon.com in French.....
                    Ordered....

Shipping Method: AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping
                    Items: $69.35
                    Shipping & Handling: $8.98
                    ------
                    Total before tax: $78.33
                    Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
                    Import Fees Deposit $3.47
                    ------
                    Order Total: $81.80

Delivery estimate: Mar. 14, 2013 - Apr. 22, 2013 1 "PRISES DE GUERRE: Insignes et Photos de la Waffen-SS (French Edition)"
                    Bando, Mark; Hardcover; $69.35
                    Usually ships in 1 to 3 months
                    Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Comment

re: Beaver/Bando SS Book

I purchased a book entitled “Insignia and Artifacts of the Waffen SS” by Michael Beaver and Mark Bando. What I got was much, much more than a book about Waffen SS insignias and artifacts. Based on the collections of Michael Beaver and Mark Bando, it also tells interesting facts related to those items through the gifted writing of Mark Bando.

What I got is a masterpiece that also includes many personalized stories about the German soldiers who wore those insignias, and about the American soldiers who acquired those insignias from their enemies on the battlefield. These stories detail how and where our soldiers attained their insignias and artifacts and were able to bring them home so other Americans could learn more about what life was like on the battlefield. The German insignias and artifacts shown relay the identity of the highly trained enemy soldiers that our American boys were up against in constant life-threatening combat.

The title to this book does not reveal that it includes so much detailed information about many of the German soldiers who wore those insignias and what became of them during this conflict. And the details about the GI’s who acquired those insignia and felt it was important to collect them to bring home for their loved ones to see.

I believe this book is both a masterpiece in writing as well as pictures which bring new perspectives on World War II. It represents a tremendous amount of research, interviews with people who were there, and analysis of what it was like to be there during the fighting.

Both a great read and a super worthwhile collector’s book to have for anybody who wishes to understand more about the events involved in the overcoming of Hitler’s Third Reich. This book portrays in words and pictures a very significant piece of history and the people involved in making that history happen.

Ben Harrison

Comment

Mail order prices have significantly increased

The US Postal Service recently increased rates for all postage and for Flat Rate Priority Mail, the new cost to mail this book is $12.50 for orders in the USA and $60- (up from $48-), for overseas orders. I have updated the prices on the paypal links of my website:
                        However, I have not yet updated the 'Media Mail' prices, because I still have not yet determined what they are.
                        I expect these postal costs will negatively impact mail order sales, but with the SoS coming soon, it presents an opportunity to pick-up this book, without paying a lot of money to USPS for postage. I will soon update my site with Canadian shipping costs, as well as Media Mail rates.
                        I want to thank the many folks who have already purchased this book, as well as those who plan to do so, in the near future.

Comment

It is a great book!
                          When you go home
                          Tell them for us and say
                          For your tomorrow
                          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

update on W-SS Insignia book

In checking my messages recently, I found some inquiries about "Is the book still available and what is the current mail order price?".
                            Updates to the paypal ordering info can be found here:

Overseas postal rates have increased significantly, to $60- postage for 1 or 2 books. The current Priority Mail postage rate for 1 or 2 books within the US, is now $12.50-. Someone also asked if the book will be for sale at the upcoming Show of Shows. The answer is Affirmative. I will have a table along the back wall, amidst the row of WWII veterans who sign autographs there. The book will be available for $80- per copy, Thurs-Sat at SoS. I will also have a few copies of the French language edition available, for $60- per copy. Thanks to all for your interest in this book, M. Bando for M. Beaver

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
                              It is a great book!
                              We should always remember that inscription as those very brave Marines laid down there lives for all our tomorrows.Quite an inscription!! CDR

Comment

Originally posted by Robert T. View Post
                                Ordered....

Shipping Method: AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping
                                Items: $69.35
                                Shipping & Handling: $8.98
                                ------
                                Total before tax: $78.33
                                Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
                                Import Fees Deposit $3.47
                                ------
                                Order Total: $81.80

Delivery estimate: Mar. 14, 2013 - Apr. 22, 2013 1 "PRISES DE GUERRE: Insignes et Photos de la Waffen-SS (French Edition)"
                                Bando, Mark; Hardcover; $69.35
                                Usually ships in 1 to 3 months
                                Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
                                Three weeks ago, Amazon.com for the second time cancelled my order... so today I ordered another copy via Amazon.ca.

Free shipping!!! along with a 36% discount on the book list price!!!

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping
                                Items: CDN$ 59.97
                                Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
                                ------
                                Total before tax: CDN$ 59.97
                                Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 3.00
                                Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
                                ------
                                Order Total: CDN$ 62.97

Delivery estimate: Mar 15 2013 - April 1 2013 1 "Prises de Guerre: Insignes Et Photos de La Waffen-SS"
                                Bando, Mark A.; Hardcover; CDN$ 59.97
                                Usually ships in 3 to 5 weeks
                                Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
                                Last edited by Robert T.; 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X