God isn't here by Richard Overton.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God isn't here by Richard Overton.

Hi huys, I'm starting to get onto PTO memoirs after reading EB Sledge's and Robert Leckie's memoirs after watching the HBO's Pacific. I've read that God isn't here by Richard Overton is a great book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any other books that are good? I'm thinking of The Long Road of War: A Marine's Story of Pacific Combat - James W. Johnston, FIGHTING THROUGH TO KOHIMA: A Memoir of War in India and Burma - Michael Lowry, Utmost Savagery: The Three Days of Tarawa - Joseph H. Alexander.

Any opinions?
    How about Hell in the Pacific: A Marine Rifleman's Journey From Guadalcanal to Peleliu - Jim McEnery. I've read EB Sledge so I don't know if I'd just be repeating the same old events. Or even Red Blood, Black Sand: Fighting Alongside John Basilone from Boot Camp to Iwo Jima.

My main interest is German soldiers' memoirs, but after EB Sledge and R. Leckie, I've definitely gotten a taste for US Marines in the Pacific.
    Thanks
    J
    PS. God isn't here by Richard Overton is not available on Amazon. Any ideas where I can buy it new?

I don't know about the others on your wish-list but Utmost Savagery isn't a memoir. It is more a narrative of the build-up to the battle, the battle itself and its place in history. It does describe the build-up, assault and battle very well indeed and does include descriptions of individual heroism but it is light on first-hand accounts. But don't let that put you off as it is a great book although not a light read.

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
      I don't know about the others on your wish-list but Utmost Savagery isn't a memoir. It is more a narrative of the build-up to the battle, the battle itself and its place in history. It does describe the build-up, assault and battle very well indeed and does include descriptions of individual heroism but it is light on first-hand accounts. But don't let that put you off as it is a great book although not a light read.
      Thanks a lot. Very helpful!

Comment

Richard Overton book

American Legacy Media published God Isn't Here by Richard Overton. I worked with him to get it published. Dick is still alive, and doing well in Northern California. For personal reasons, he requested that the book be taken out of print. However, we have a handful of signed copies available if you are interested.

Comment

Moderator, please delete this error post. Thank you and my apologies for the inconvenience.
          Last edited by Josh Cowell; 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X