Books I should read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books I should read?

Hello all I just finnished, Panzer Commander "Hans von Luck" and Erich Hartmanns Biography, and I thought they were two of the best reads ive had in a long time, I was hopeing you guys could recommand some other titles for me.

Thanks

Dan Plomish

Dan,

I just finished a few myself - the train to work is wonderful for that!

"Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner is the best U-Boot account I have read. He was in U-Boots for most of the war and does an amazing job of mixing the human side with the decline of Germany and the imminent doom these men faced knowing they went to their deaths.

"In Deadly Combat" by Gottlob Herbert Bidderman is an astounding account of the groundwar on the Eastern Front by an infantry officer who was there from the first day until the end. It starts a litle dense, but by the end of the war you are horrified at the depravity of it all and yet astounded by the brave way these men faced death defending their friends.

"I Flew For the Fuhrer" by Heinz Knoke is a short, tense memoir of a Luftwaffe Ace. How he survived - especially his last bail-out - is amazing.

So there you go, Land, Sea and Air!
    Marc

Comment

Thanks Flak88

Thanks flak88, Im already on the hunt for these titles, ill let you know how i like them,

Another good one I just finnished Is "A Meeting of General's" by Tony Foster,
      The story is a Biography of Harry Foster and Kurt Meyer.

Comment

Here are a couple of other books along the same lines as Panzer Commander that I really enjoyed:
        Soldat by Siegfried Knappe
        In Deadly Combat by Gottlob Herbert Bidermann

These are two excellent books.
        Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
        All the best,
        Chris

Comment

If you haven't read it:

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

Comment

Forgoten soldier

Soldat,knapp

Panzer Commander

A book by a fellow named Bruno Manz

Speed seduction by Ross Jefferies
            Iam Uncle Sam
            That’s who Iam
            Been hiding out
            In a rock and roll band

Comment

I also enjoyed "Forgotten Soldier". I also liked "Soldat" by Siegfried Knappe ans "Infantry Aces" by Frank Kurowski. The latter being a collection of short bios about some of the wars untold heros.

JasonS

Comment

A couple others now that I am at home:

Crack of Doom by WIlli Heinrich

U-Boat 977 by Heinz Schaeffer

The Black March by Peter Neumann

Comment

Hell's Gate

I couldn't put this down. A very informative, fact filled book on the battle of the cherkassy pocket. The author really went the extra mile on this one, interviewing participants from both sides of the battle.

I think author did a great job balancing the facts with personal accounts. Sometimes these "battle" books get "overfacted" but not this one.
                  Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Wow

Many thanks guys, these titles should keep me busy for a while now.

ill let you know when im done these titles.

Comment

Infantry Aces

Has anybody read "Infantry Aces" by Franz Kurowski? I too have read the above mentioned books and Von Luck's book and Deadly Combat must rank amonst the very best.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak88 View Post
                        Dan,

"In Deadly Combat" by Gottlob Herbert Bidderman is an astounding account of the groundwar on the Eastern Front by an infantry officer who was there from the first day until the end. It starts a litle dense, but by the end of the war you are horrified at the depravity of it all and yet astounded by the brave way these men faced death defending their friends.

Marc
                        Thanks for the tip on this one Marc, I'm off to order it now.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
                          Thanks for the tip on this one Marc, I'm off to order it now.

Cheers

Ian
                          The Biderman book is superb, really got me into reding memoirs, read 2 more in the space of 4 nights after that, Twilight of the Gods & Berlinn Dance of death.
                          Both good reads.
                          Ant.

Comment

my top is kurston's "shadow diver" and bidderman's "in deadly combat".

-eric

Comment

Originally posted by sellers34 View Post
                              Has anybody read "Infantry Aces" by Franz Kurowski? I too have read the above mentioned books and Von Luck's book and Deadly Combat must rank amonst the very best.
                              Kurowski's book is good. He also has books about Knight's Cross recipients of the Afrika Korps, Fallschirmjagers (both of which I have), Panzer corps, and Waffen SS.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X