Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God is my Co-Pilot signed book..To Ben Hohmann

Hi All,
    I bought this book at an antique mall in Torrance, Ca. a good 4+ years ago. It was given to German Me-163 Pilot Bernard "Ben" Hohmann and signed by Robert L. Scott. What I would like to know, is this Robert L. Scott signature? I've seen some of his signatures and it looks pretty close. Being I found this book in Califorina, did Ben Hohmann end up living in the States after the war?

Thank you,
    Rodney
    God is my Co-Pilot.jpg

God is my Co-Pilot:Robert Scott .jpg

I found this about Ben Hohmann, he did move here after the war and worked in our space program.

"Hohmann, Bernhard (1916-1984) German test pilot. Chief of Flight Development at Wright FIeld, consultant on astronaut flight safety on Mercury, Gemini, and MOL programs.
    A glider pilot and engineer before the war, he joined the Luftwaffe and became a test pilot at Peenmuende, making 37 test flights of the Me-163 rocket fighter and its unpowered prototypes. He survived a crash landing which resulted in the partial destruction of the aircraft as its airframe was consumed by the acid rocket propellants. After the war he surrendered to the Americans, and by January 1947 was working at Wright Field, Ohio. He became the Chief of Flight Development Section at Wright Field, before leaving to work for Aerospace Corporation as a consultant for the space program in 1957. He worked on both Mercury and Gemini programs. He authored two publications along with noted scientist Joseph F. Wambolt".

Comment

Maybe.. But would not the autograph have Scotts' military rank also?
      i.e. people who are doctors always have the Dr. in a signature.

But what do I know. just my opinion.

Comment

Hi marksmilitaria, never thought about that (Col. Robert Scott). I have some signed book by some German and Japanese pilots and they don't use their rank before their names. If he was dedicating this book to a friend (and fellow pilot), maybe he would just sign his name and not use his rank??

Thank you, now you got me thinking!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X