X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkish WAR MEDAL (HARP MADALYASI)

Turkish WAR MEDAL (TWM) or HARP MADALYASI
    By Demir Erman

Often and incorrectly referred to as the “Gallipoli Star” or “Iron Half-Moon”, my interest in the Harp Madalyasi (War Medal), started a few years ago and I was immediately confronted with a myriad of unanswered questions due to the general lack of substantiated information on the subject. Luckily, I befriended other collectors interested in this award and eventually met the author in one of these online forums. First, let me say, that a printed reference on this subject was long overdue and I could not think of a better, more knowledgeable person, to bring this subject to light.

The book briefly discusses the history of the Ottoman Empire and how it’s military awards came into being, along with the European influence on design and purpose that led to the establishment of the War Medal. Various battles and campaigns are mentioned and examples of the various clasps often encountered on the War Medal ribbon are also shown.

One of the book’s highlights centers around the award regulations and amendments that applied, which are shown in great detail and reprinted with full translations. This is something many references overlook and often the collector has to rely on hearsay or other collector opinions, which often lead to confusion or erroneous statements as facts.

With the actual regulations, there can be no dispute on the how or why certain things will be seen with this award. I also think the author clearly shows how military awards were viewed by the War Ministry and that the only true War Medal officially produced and awarded, was the painted enamel version, while the rest were simply jeweler’s or aftermarket versions produced for those individuals that wanted a better quality medal for wear after the fact.

Though various versions of the TWM are shown in the book, as well as packets of issue and other items, due to the numerous varieties produced after the war and the fact not all have been seen, this is not an all-inclusive list of the different manufacturers. Considering many previously unseen versions are still coming to light even today, hopefully more information on these varieties can be shown in future editions.

Overall, I thought the book was good and of particular value to the collector interested in the Harp Madalyasi. I know some may find the book smaller in size and not as expansive as some of the other militaria references coming out these days but, considering that very little information is readily available on this medal, let alone Turkish awards in general, this book is a very good deal in my opinion. It’s not always the size or print quality of an item, but the information it presents that determines it’s full value.

I think many will appreciate Demir’s efforts here and certainly, the price is a bargain compared to many other references currently on the market. The regulations alone make the book worthwhile!

Tim

For more information and some photos on the book, see this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=567051&page=6
    Attached Files

Have ordered one copy from author

Regards
    Tang

Comment

Originally posted by Tim B. View Post
      Turkish WAR MEDAL (TWM) or HARP MADALYASI
      By Demir Erman

Often and incorrectly referred to as the “Gallipoli Star” or “Iron Half-Moon”, my interest in the Harp Madalyasi (War Medal), started a few years ago and I was immediately confronted with a myriad of unanswered questions due to the general lack of substantiated information on the subject. Luckily, I befriended other collectors interested in this award and eventually met the author in one of these online forums. First, let me say, that a printed reference on this subject was long overdue and I could not think of a better, more knowledgeable person, to bring this subject to light.

The book briefly discusses the history of the Ottoman Empire and how it’s military awards came into being, along with the European influence on design and purpose that led to the establishment of the War Medal. Various battles and campaigns are mentioned and examples of the various clasps often encountered on the War Medal ribbon are also shown.

One of the book’s highlights centers around the award regulations and amendments that applied, which are shown in great detail and reprinted with full translations. This is something many references overlook and often the collector has to rely on hearsay or other collector opinions, which often lead to confusion or erroneous statements as facts.

With the actual regulations, there can be no dispute on the how or why certain things will be seen with this award. I also think the author clearly shows how military awards were viewed by the War Ministry and that the only true War Medal officially produced and awarded, was the painted enamel version, while the rest were simply jeweler’s or aftermarket versions produced for those individuals that wanted a better quality medal for wear after the fact.

Though various versions of the TWM are shown in the book, as well as packets of issue and other items, due to the numerous varieties produced after the war and the fact not all have been seen, this is not an all-inclusive list of the different manufacturers. Considering many previously unseen versions are still coming to light even today, hopefully more information on these varieties can be shown in future editions.

Overall, I thought the book was good and of particular value to the collector interested in the Harp Madalyasi. I know some may find the book smaller in size and not as expansive as some of the other militaria references coming out these days but, considering that very little information is readily available on this medal, let alone Turkish awards in general, this book is a very good deal in my opinion. It’s not always the size or print quality of an item, but the information it presents that determines it’s full value.

I think many will appreciate Demir’s efforts here and certainly, the price is a bargain compared to many other references currently on the market. The regulations alone make the book worthwhile!

Tim

For more information and some photos on the book, see this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=567051&page=6

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your review. I tried to give the unknown facts about the Turkish War Medal. I am receiving nice comments from the people who bougt the book.
      I would like to use this review as a reference with your permission.

Regards

Demir

Comment

This book is a must for anyone interested in the Turkish War Medal. It provides a wealth of background material including the decrees that established it as well a view of the prototype award, which thank God, was not implemented. The book shows numerous examples of the award from original awarded pieces to the private purchase awards favored by the European recipiants. The book also explains the campaign bars that were worn on the ribbon. A good, concise read. This book is filled with quite a lot of useful information and no fluff. Well worth the money.
        Last edited by Don D.; 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Hello,
          For those who has my book I would like to give the ERRATA list. Also (I still can not post pictures) for addition to Annex 3 (campaign bars) in the book please see
          http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/53...a-book-review/
          Regards
          Demir

ERRATA LIST:

Page/line/footnote Original text Corrected text

35/29/ .. von Sanders and by coincedence….. … von Sanders and by coincidence…..
          52/18/ Foreigners usually worn the medal … Foreigners usually wore the medal …
          53/11/ … envelope. Golden gilt imprint …. … envelope. Silver gilt imprint ….
          97/- / annex 17 - 14a Stainhauer&Lück Steinhauer&Lück
          109/ - / annex 24 GERMAN NURSE GERMAN NURSE – ALMAN HEMSIRE

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X