• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book case put to better use?

Hi Friends

The Mrs. bought me this book case at a thrift shop for $20. It's one
    of those three piece stacker types with glass front doors that open
    out and swing back in. Unfortunately, it was missing the original base.
    Haven't figured out what to use for backdrops in the backs yet.
    At least these are a few helmets I don't have to dust on cleaning day!

Ken
    Attached Files

These are called "Lawyers Cabinets", cause the lawyers put their big law books in 'em. If you got that for $20 you did REAL good! Older ones like that usually go for hundreds of dollars in antique shops. They are great for displaying all sorts of militaria like helmets, soft headgear, insignia & medals. Your helmets look good in there & being able to keep the dust off is a real plus.

Comment

Great Case

Hello Ken,
      Great case, I have one of these same Lawyer cases myself and use it for the same thing. Great for helmets and my 1/16th figures. I will try to post pics of it later today.
      Regards,
      Jody

Comment

HI KEN, VERY NICE CASE AND I SEE SOME GOODIES IN THERE TO! WELL DONE! REGARDS, CHRIS

Comment

book cases

Ken, Very nice this is what I keep a lot of my militaria in, super cases to have and the older ones are getting expensive and hard to find one of mine was purchased in 1916 by my Grandfather after the graduated Carolina Law School..wfg

Comment

Thanks for the fine complements, Fellas.

Lawyers cabinet, eh Lee. I think I just changed the name of this one
            to Militaria cabinet. Thing of it is, I really need another one alongside
            this one. (Hay honey, you got any extra cash on ya?)

BR
            Ken

Comment

I've been looking for one of those for ages! $20?!! The last one I saw was $250 for just two shelves!
              George

Comment

Case

Check your local Lowe's (if you are here in the States). I bought mine there 2-3 yrs. ago for $80. Quality is surprisingly good for a piece of do it yourself put-together furniture.

Comment

Personally, my advice is be EXTEREMELY careful about using one of those sets of bookshelves. If you do use it, at least keep the glass doors open.

I had a set of those antique shelves many years ago. I kept a lot of books in it with the glass doors shut. After they were in there for a while I went to take one out. I noticed that all of the pages in all of the books had turned to a brown color, and all of the books had a faint smell.

I learned later that a lot of these bookcases were treated with finishes that still "leach" out of the wood into the air. This vapor inside of the closesd cabinets
                  caused damage and discoloration to the books that was permanent.

I got rid of my set of shelves right away.

Just keep a close eye on anything that you have in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dienna
                    Personally, my advice is be EXTEREMELY careful about using one of those sets of bookshelves. If you do use it, at least keep the glass doors open.

I had a set of those antique shelves many years ago. I kept a lot of books in it with the glass doors shut. After they were in there for a while I went to take one out. I noticed that all of the pages in all of the books had turned to a brown color, and all of the books had a faint smell.

I learned later that a lot of these bookcases were treated with finishes that still "leach" out of the wood into the air. This vapor inside of the closesd cabinets
                    caused damage and discoloration to the books that was permanent.

I got rid of my set of shelves right away.

Just keep a close eye on anything that you have in them.
                    Hi Bill,
                    Good point, but I think it may depend on where you live. I have had my helmets in these shelves for 10+ years, and so far nothing. I do live in Arizona and there is little or no humidity. It was 108 today and the current inside temperature of the house at 9:31 pm is 80. The air conditioner kicks on at 82.
                    Regards,
                    Jody

Comment

Not bad for 20$.. And items are good as well!
                      Antti

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X