Heer Strap & Board book - finally done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer Strap & Board book - finally done

WOW - It took my son Tom (WAF - TJ Suter) and I over two years to get it completed, but we finally finished the book on German Army shoulder straps & boards. It was sent off yesterday to the printer and should be out in a couple months.

This is the first time we did something like that, and what a monster! Tom did most of the captioning and I took on all the photography. I certainly learned a lot.......

I started out using a camera and photoboard with these special (& expensive) blue light bulbs. Hot as hell, too. Trying to get the correct amount of lighting and color was really a pain. Probably took about 8 shots of each item with different settings. Then went through 'em, comparing them to the actual item and selecting the one that was the closest. Don't know how many hundreds and hundreds of pictures I took - and I'm probably better off not knowing. (I did try using a scanner but anything that wasn't flat on the glass was blurred.)

After getting them almost all done I started another little project. I had a lot of old family slides that I wanted to scan & save electronically. That takes a scanner designed to do slides, so I had to buy it. Price wasn't bad - a couple hundred bucks.

After scanning all the slides it popped into my head that, since a regular scanner won't do slides, maybe this one would be able to do straps & boards.

I fnally got it right! The scanner took clearer, sharper photos and in almost all cases the colors were exactly right. YAHOO

Of course, I then had to start over from square one and scan the front & back of every one of the straps & boards. And each scan, of course, has to be cropped and sized. But, now that that's all behind me, it was worth it. And I know Tom is happy that he's done writing all the captions and having to 'code' everything.

In case any of you are interested in it, below are two photos of the same board that show the difference. The top one was taken with a camera and the bottom one with the scanner.
    Attached Files

Thank you for posting.Looks good. Brian

Comment

Yes, the photos a scanner makes are much much clearer. They are great for images of pistols and etc. The markings come out crystal clear.

Comment

Would probably help if I identified the scanner......

It's an HP Scanjet G4050.

Also, I use a photo-editing program called Irfanview - it's great and you can download it off the internet for FREE. And I mean it really is free - not that scam 'free download' crap where you download it for free but have to pay to use it.

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work Dave, I am excited to receive my copy!
          Amazon USA has it available for preorder at $59.95 a savings of $30 which is a great deal!

Kevin

Comment

Well, this is all new to me, so I checked with the publisher. To date, Amazon hasn't contacted them, so even though they have it listed, unless they sign a contract with the publisher they won't be able to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Suter View Post
              Well, this is all new to me, so I checked with the publisher. To date, Amazon hasn't contacted them, so even though they have it listed, unless they sign a contract with the publisher they won't be able to sell it.
              Interesting?

Kev

Comment

Assuming the authors get copies at a discount, I'd rather buy from them. The money made for such a time involved work does not equal royalties paid for all the effort.

Comment

Well, Tom and I got a nice surprise yesterday. Schiffer sent each of us an 'advance copy' of the book. Certainly nice to actually have it in hand rather than just the electronic version. The 'stock shipment' is still 6 - 8 weeks out.

This is certainly a new experience for us.

Comment

Well, we had an interesting development today. We both got a policy contract from the publisher that we have to agree to and sign before we can order any of the books to sell ourselves. The subject is 'Minimum Advertised Price'. It states that the book cannot be advertised or sold at a price that is lower than the price listed by the barcode on the back cover. For our book that is $89.99.

We are both aware that Amazon.com has it listed as 'available' as a pre-order for $55.46, so we contacted the publisher to get some info on this. To date, Amazon has not ordered any of the books and, before they do, they will also have to sign the same contract and agree not to advertise or sell it for less.

So, what happens to someone who might have pre-ordered it? Well, we were told that Amazon doesn't take the payment on a pre-order until they have the book in hand to ship. Unless they sell it for the 'official' price, they will not have it in stock, so the 'pre-order' will just go DOA.

This policy is fairly new, which may be why they advertise it at a price they can't sell it for, and it is specifically applicable to books that are 'Schiffer LTD.'

Comment

I think its dificult to make much selling thebook on your own, unless you charge for your autograph. Amazons prices are hard to beat. Even with my SCHIFFER author discount theres not much money to be made. I can't wait until its finally available. Its time for a new reference on the subject. Jim

Well, we had an interesting development today. We both got a policy contract from the publisher that we have to agree to and sign before we can order any of the books to sell ourselves. The subject is 'Minimum Advertised Price'. It states that the book cannot be advertised or sold at a price that is lower than the price listed by the barcode on the back cover. For our book that is $89.99.

We are both aware that Amazon.com has it listed as 'available' as a pre-order for $55.46, so we contacted the publisher to get some info on this. To date, Amazon has not ordered any of the books and, before they do, they will also have to sign the same contract and agree not to advertise or sell it for less.

So, what happens to someone who might have pre-ordered it? Well, we were told that Amazon doesn't take the payment on a pre-order until they have the book in hand to ship. Unless they sell it for the 'official' price, they will not have it in stock, so the 'pre-order' will just go DOA.

This policy is fairly new, which may be why they advertise it at a price they can't sell it for, and it is specifically applicable to books that are 'Schiffer LTD.'

Comment

Amazon's prices will have to be at least as much as Schiffer's. If they don't agree to it & sign the contract, Schiffer won't sell them any of the books.

We are going to autograph the ones we sell if the buyer wants us to, but we won't charge for it. We didn't take this monster on to get rich....

Comment

Amazon's prices will have to be at least as much as Schiffer's. If they don't agree to it & sign the contract, Schiffer won't sell them any of the books.

We are going to autograph the ones we sell if the buyer wants us to, but we won't charge for it. We didn't take this monster on to get rich....
                          Dave,

Don't worry theres no chance that you'll get rich! Hopefully Amazon and Schiffer will reach an agreement. Its hard selling books at $90 a pop and the discounted prices Amazon sells their books for ensures pretty good sales for Schiffer. Jim

Comment

As I said, if they don't agree to sell it for no less than Schiffer's $89.99 price they won't be selling it at all. This is Schiffer's press release about it - http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschi...essRelease.pdf Even though we're the authors we have to comply with it too - I signed the contract & mailed it off today.

Tom and I are in the process of figuring out the best shipping option. We should have that figured out by the end of the week. Once we do I'll post a thread on the Books & Media E-Stand Table with all the info.

Comment

Well, it will be their loss. Payment is heading your way. I can hardly wait to get this book in hand. I have been eagerly awaiting its release for some time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X