PACIFIC CRUCIBLE War at Sea in The Pacific 1941-1942 by Ian W. Toll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PACIFIC CRUCIBLE War at Sea in The Pacific 1941-1942 by Ian W. Toll

This is a long book. I purchased he hardback, well over 600 pages long. The book starts off a bit slow, giving quite a bit of background on Yamamato and the political structure of Japan leading up to Pearl Harbor. Also gives quite a bit of background on the principal players like Admiral King, Admiral Nimitz, Admiral Sprunance and quite a but about Nagumo on the Japanese side. Once you get past the background the book is impossible to put down. People didn't hear too much about our early offensive moves (besides Doolittle's Raiders) against some of the smaller islands. This book takes you through each of those battles through the eyes of the Navy along with the captains, crews, pilots and it makes you feel like you are watching a movie and can feel the flack bounce you around or you find yourself physically leaning while trying to get the U.S.S Lexington to turn quicker to avoid a torpedo. It is really that good. But the book is what it says, all the Pacific naval battles from 1941 to 1942. I was please to recently hear a rumor that I hope is true and that is Mr. Toll is going to have follow up books for 1943-1944 and 1945. Or perhaps just 1943 -1945. But I highly recommend this book. Entertaining along with educational.

Regards,
    Joel

Thanks for the book review. Will order a copy as I'm an avid WWII buff, esp. the PTO's.

Cheers, Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X