Books about the Russian Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books about the Russian Campaign

Please I would be glad to have a full list of what you think are the BEST books available on the market, and also OOP, about the whole history of the german Campaign in Russia. Specially, I would like to know if there is any text which describes any little action too.
    Thank you so much to all!

The Road To Stalingrad - vol 1
    The Road To Berlin - vol 2 (both by John Erickson)
    For just Barbarossa you can't go wrong with War Without Garlands by Robert Kershaw.

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
      The Road To Stalingrad - vol 1
      The Road To Berlin - vol 2 (both by John Erickson)
      For just Barbarossa you can't go wrong with War Without Garlands by Robert Kershaw.
      Thank you so much, Kevin!!!

Comment

Hi,

The best books I have ever read about the Russian campaign (from a German point if view) are the Paul Carell books "Hitler Moves East" and "Scorched Earth".
        Bought these when I was a young teen in the 1970's, and due to there first hand recollections and descriptions; they were a huge influence upon me.
        I still find that you feel you "are there" when reading these two volumes.
        Will have to dig them out and read them again!

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Originally posted by Tora_Tora_Tora! View Post
          Thank you so much, Kevin!!!
          And anything by Michael K Jones. His book on Leningrad (titled Leningrad: State Of Siege) is superb.

Comment

Campaign in Russia by Leon Degralle (Wallonian unit) was excellent.

I was NOT a fan of War without Garlands....sorry.

Comment

Campaign in Russia by Leon Degrélle is really great! It is also good to compare it with Helmuth Nowak´s memoirs. One of his six mem-books (I think 4th) is about Cherkassy pocket (as well as one of the Degrelle´s chapters), where Nowak was stationed as liaison officer directly in Wallonian Unit.

But I think one of the "musts" is Norman Davies: Europe in War. We can call it "ww2 in pocket from all points of view". Davies is one of the few western writers that gives the eastern front real value, as it had.

Last time I was quite satisfied with polish author Lukasz Przybylo and his book about Third Kharkov (I think it is called Kharkov - last german major victory on eastern front).

I highly reccomend also the official soviet history of ww2 in 5-volumes set. It is not for beginners, who can be quickly fooled by tons of commie propaganda, but for those who know it is very educative.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
                I highly reccomend also the official soviet history of ww2 in 5-volumes set. It is not for beginners, who can be quickly fooled by tons of commie propaganda, but for those who know it is very educative.

Regards
                What the title is? Is it easy to find?
                Thanks!!

Comment

I will check home the precise name and authors of that set. Yes, I am lucky to be former commie child, so I have school leaving exam from russian and many czech, slovak and russian old books to read - and i am advanced enough to read between the lines of commie propaganda, hehe.

It is one of the books that proves the idea, that russian victory was victory of sheer amount. According to official history, soviets, when preparing Uranus offensive, were just sending full trains to Stalingrad. There were no empty trains going back. This is the "easy" way how to double the capacity of your railroad. Easy, when you have enough wagons and enough space to put the empty train set out of the rails with the crane. Easy when you have enough "volunteers" to serve as a live railway signalisation, less than every 1km. It was easier to replace one man, when he was killed by attack of stukas, than to repair the whole signal pole. Thanks to this the frequency of trains heading to Stalingrad was nearly equal to frequency of Moscow metro.

...I have also the 1947 edition of Alexander Werth "Stalingrad´s Year". Do you know him? He was the british journalist acredited in Moscow during 1942-45. Then he was forbidden in commie block, but some of his books stayed untouched in private libraries. Stalingrad´s Year is diary of british journalist in Russia during that year 1942/43.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Werth

There are some mistakes in the book, but it has big value as a very fresh info of man who "was there". Imagine, that he came to Russia by one of that dangerous british convoys to Murmansk. He was in Kharkov during shortlived russian victory in 1942. He was in Stalingrad 3 weeks after german surrender, he attended many receptions and press conferences of soviet officials - and he just walked with his eyes wide open and spoke with russian people. One sketch for all - how people were earning money in Russia that time - man was staying at the corner, smoking cigarette. When you gave him 1 kopeyka, you could take one hit...

But at the end must be said - guys, if you really want to understand what and why hapenned on eastern front during ww2, check at least one good book about eastern front during (and after) ww1.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by feldpost 58 View Post
                    Hi,

The best books I have ever read about the Russian campaign (from a German point if view) are the Paul Carell books "Hitler Moves East" and "Scorched Earth".
                    Bought these when I was a young teen in the 1970's, and due to there first hand recollections and descriptions; they were a huge influence upon me.
                    I still find that you feel you "are there" when reading these two volumes.
                    Will have to dig them out and read them again!

Best wishes,

John.

I agree with John--but we are obviously dating ourselves....
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Paul Carell " Hitler Moves East "

" Scorched Earth "

" Operation Barbarossa "( excellent photo's taken by German soldiers )

Leon Degrelle " Campaign in Russia "
                      Last edited by Obergruppen2; 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Hi Stonemint,

"Hitler Moves East" and "Scorched Earth" were two of the best , and most important books I have ever read on the campaign in the East.
                        I actually stole them whilst dodging school in the early 1070's and me and my accomplice got caught by store detectives so I eventually returned to the shop and bought the books.
                        I recall thet they were 12/6p each - which works out at 62p each.
                        I'm REALLY dating myself now!
                        Best wishes for Christmas.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X