Airborne Recce Squadron Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airborne Recce Squadron Book

Just won this book on Ebay. Anybody read/seen it before. Published in 1978 with many soldiers named in the photographs.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/e9/da/a3_1_b.JPG

Description is this:

<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!-- function slideshow(direction) { if (null == direction) { if ((lastTime + delay) > new Date().getTime()) { direction = 0; } else { direction = currentDirection; } } else { currentDirection = direction; } if (direction != 0) { if (direction > 0) { currentSlide++; if (currentSlide > (slides.length - 1)) { currentSlide = 0; } } else { currentSlide = currentSlide-1; if (currentSlide < 0) { currentSlide = (slides.length - 1); } } lastTime = new Date().getTime(); update(slides[currentSlide]); setTimeout("slideshow();",delay); } } var currentIndex = 0; var currentIsSuper = false; function update(url, index, isSuper) { currentIndex = index; currentIsSuper = isSuper; document['eBayBig'].src=url; if (isSuper) { visibleState = "visible"; } else { visibleState = "hidden"; } if(document.layers && document.eBaySuperLink1){ document.eBaySuperLink1.visibility= visibleState; document.eBaySuperLink2.visibility= visibleState; } if(document.all && document.all.eBaySuperLink1){ document.all.eBaySuperLink1.style.visibility= visibleState; document.all.eBaySuperLink2.style.visibility= visibleState; } if(!document.all && document.getElementById && document.getElementById("eBaySuperLink1")){ document.getElementById("eBaySuperLink1").style.vi sibility= visibleState; document.getElementById("eBaySuperLink2").style.vi sibility= visibleState; } return false; } function supersize() { if (currentIsSuper) { location.href = 'http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6902862840&indexURL=' + currentIndex + '&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting'; } return; }//--></SCRIPT><!-- Begin Description -->235 PAGES,PHOTOS,MAPS,IN VERY GOOD CONDITION.FOREWORD BY MAJOR-GENERAL URQUHART,HONOURS & AWARDS,PHOTOS INCLUDE FORMAL TROOP PHOTOS,WITH MOST MEN NAMED.THIS BOOK CONCENTRATES ON THE EXPERIENCES OF THIS UNIT TOLD MAINLY BY THE MEN THEMSELVES.THIS WAS PUBLISHED BY THE PARACHUTE REGIMENT JOURNAL,PEGASUS.IN THE EPILOGUE IT TELLS YOU WHAT HAPPENED TO SOME OF THE MEN POST-WAR.THIS BOOK IS A FITTING TRIBUTE TO A GALLANT BAND OF BROTHERS. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hi Ciaran,

I have never read this book before, but now you have reminded me about it, I think I'll have to read it soon! I should have read it by now because I've sold enough copies of it

It looks like it's going to be a good read

I saw the book on ebay too and the price wasn't too bad, a little under for what we sell it for.

Many thanks from Jack.

Comment

Bash on Recce!

Hi Guys, this book is a must if you are interested in Arnhem! I can highly reccommend it. I bought mine many years ago as a signed first edition. The photos and maps are excellent. Indeed, the maps have been used elsewhere as they are so good. At £22 you have a bargain I think? It has been out of print for ages. There has been talk of a reprint, which I think they should do, as there is a lot of interest in 1st A/B Recce Sqn.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

A superb and very detailed and informative book!
        Absolutelly recommended.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I thought that I had bid too much for the book and that they were quite common. Seems I may have bagged a bargain after all. I have just checked abebooks.com and seen it on there, prices range from £17 - £40.

Comment

recieved the book today. Looks like a great read. Flicking through I found a quite funny piece on the graffiti that was daubed on the side of one of the gliders. This glider was captured and the graffiti studied and submitted in Sepp Kraft's intelligence report. One of the pieces of graffiti read "West Ham for the cup!" which made me chuckle. This would have been the wartime FA Cup which was between West Ham United and Blackburn Rovers. West Ham went on to win it as well. Wonder what Himmler would have made of that!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X