germans fighting on uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

germans fighting on uk

tv programme "secrets of ww2 " says German forces landed in the uk and battled the British army for 9 hours ! anyone ever heard of this before ?

Hi

funny you should say this as a few years ago i was told by a old guy i met, he told me he was in the secret service during the war and he said germans had landed in England. i was unable to talk to him again as he passed away some weeks later.

Robert

Comment

I would be surprised if units of Fallschimjager didnt carry out small raids on UK

Nick

Comment

Yes

I heard that too. Apparently the FJ attacked the ICI Chemical plant in Redcar, Cleveland and also the Tower off London looking for the crown jewels. The Beefeaters held them off. The whole thing was hushed up. The old guy that told me made me promise not to tell anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
          tv programme "secrets of ww2 " says German forces landed in the uk and battled the British army for 9 hours ! anyone ever heard of this before ?
          Only in the film 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks'.

If it is under the 100 year rule we may hear about it officially by 2040.

Comment

Shingle Street on the east coast keeps coming up as a location where something may have happened

See here, plenty to read through; eye witness accounts, newspaper cuttings, letters from those who saw something (Both UK and German) and so on.

http://www.shford.fslife.co.uk/Shing...etail=overview

There have been a number of TV programmes which mention it too in the last 10 years or so.

But who knows if its true or not? Looks like we will have to wait until 2021.

Plenty on Google about it

As always

Mark
            Last edited by MMM; 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Buzzer View Post
              I heard that too. Apparently the FJ attacked the ICI Chemical plant in Redcar, Cleveland and also the Tower off London looking for the crown jewels. The Beefeaters held them off. The whole thing was hushed up. The old guy that told me made me promise not to tell anyone.
              Hah!
              Old boy told me in Redcar of people hanging banners out of their seafront upstairs windows. 'Welcome Jerry'.

Why as a kid did I dig up mauser rounds just off the beach and a fragged brit lid?
              Could of been some night raids and stopped at 'The Workies' for a pint. One 'sip'... there,d want to stay.
              My mate discovered a minty complete Heer uniform in his dads closet, wasn't in the war being an 'essential worker'??

Eric

Comment

The last battle on British soil?
                At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Thanks Dave
                  Interesting but I don;t see how they can claim it to be the 'Last'
                  I'm sure there's lots of similar accounts, at the time no biggie. Old boys talk of a Junker crashing in the cleveland hills near us after the crew jumped, short exchange etc then taken prisoner.
                  Must of happened a lot. Probably lost amid paperwork.

Eric
                  Last edited by Hoss; 09-09-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X