Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnhem 1944/Martin Middlebrook

Is that one good?

I read it about 10 years ago, and thought it was very good. Middlebrook, to me at least, has always provided insight and compelling narrative, starting way back with "The First Day on the Somme."
    His Arnhem book, if I recall is very British oriented, as opposed to say, "It Never Snows in September", which is very oriented to the German side of the battle, even though written by a British officer.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Thanks! I've read It Never Snows in Septem,ber and I have to admit that there is something in Kershaw's style that I don't like. At least I am no fan of his War without Garlands. The latter has a great idea, but e.g. relying so much on TV interviews of the veterans is no good.

Comment

Ret

Try "Retake Arnhem Bridge" for further German perspectives ... (If you can find a copy) ..
        .. Written by one of the members here on the forum ..

Gary J.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
          Try "Retake Arnhem Bridge" for further German perspectives ... (If you can find a copy) ..
          .. Written by one of the members here on the forum ..

Gary J.
          Thanks Gary for the plug...yes not many copies left in the world - abput 30 left.

Regarding Middlebrook's book - I think it is very good. You will not be disappointed. There are over 100-200 eye Allied witness acounts throughout the book that give it that extra edge. As Gary says - foucs on the Allied side but still well worth it!!

Scott

Comment

As a casual reader, Arnhem seems to be one battle that is well researched and covered from all perspectives: After The Battle two-volume set, Cornelius Ryan (a bit dated but the first book I read on Arnhem), Middlebrook, Kershaw, "Poles Apart", the one about the gliders (forgotten the name at the moment), etc. Sorry Scott, I haven't had the chance to read your book.

It's my favourite non-Ostfront battle!

Jason

Comment

I have read Scott's work and was fool enough to sell it. An excellent book by any measure!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X