New biography: LSSAH - SS-Brigadeführer and Swords holder Theodor "Teddy" Wisch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg Walden View Post
    Congrats, Markus, on your Goldene HIAG-Ehrennadel!

Best,
    Greg
    Thank you very much Greg! It was quite a surprise and honor.

The history has always interested me, not so much the collecting
    of lifeless items. To receive this award from the men who were
    part of this history is extremely rewarding for me.

Markus

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
      I can assure everyone that Markus and Mark aren't being flippant in their comments. I worked hard on my previous books, but this latest one I'm doing, on Wiking, Nordland, Nederland and the Germanic Legions, needs to be the best yet. I too have a full time job, and yet sometimes it takes days to properly research and write a single photo caption! But years from now, people reading the book will have a better product.
      Marc's comment made me laugh at myself. The ability to absorb frustration is a requirement. As recently as 0330 AM last night I was in my back yard swearing like a sailor and kicking a tree over some aspect. I've learned to cut loose AWAY from anything breakable.

Though I did a few early ones that way, it makes some of the early huge books by Stöber, Weidinger, and others all the more amazing as they did them with a typewriter, not a computer. To search, coordinate, compare, find if written, text in a multi-volume study without a PC would drive me insane at this point. Similarly I have no comment on my love/hate relationship with computers. My worst "fun" was having to retype 25,000+ words of proofread footnotes due to PC problems. But lesson learned, I have 3 external back-up drives now.

An aspect few readers notice is language. I only have to deal with English and German. With an overall interest in foreign volunteer units, Marc must deal with a half dozen native languages during research. That alone would make me mentally "toast."

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
        Minimal Personalakte like Keppler and Hausser. Impossible in the Wisch text format as only his shortest Vorschlag copies are included included.

All there is, adding and correcting prior ones, is in vol. 7 of my German Cross series. About 3,000 words
        How about private archives? D'Este's Patton bio absolutely depended on the family papers. The recent Manstein biographer Mungo Melvin was apparently the first author to have access to Mansteins' family archives. Plus possible German archives.

And the best bios have also in-depth analysis, like D'Este's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
          An aspect few readers notice is language. I only have to deal with English and German. With an overall interest in foreign volunteer units, Marc must deal with a half dozen native languages during research. That alone would make me mentally "toast."
          FWIW, and not to hijack the thread, I have reference books close at hand right now in English, German, Spanish, French, Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Finnish, and Estonian. I read English the best, no surprise for an American, and I read Spanish well from years of schooling. I read German with difficulty (and with the help of a German-English dictionary), and I can read French to some extent based on my knowledge of Spanish. I can read some Dutch based on similarities to German (sad, for someone like me with a Dutch father, and all of his relatives still there). For the Nordic/Scandinavian ones, I do the best I can, and give thanks for English-speaking friends and Google Translate!

Back on-topic, I hope Markus will produce further projects. Between what he has to offer, and what Thomas Fischer has already shown, really good information on LAH is becoming available.

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
            How about private archives? D'Este's Patton bio absolutely depended on the family papers. The recent Manstein biographer Mungo Melvin was apparently the first author to have access to Mansteins' family archives. Plus possible German archives.

And the best bios have also in-depth analysis, like D'Este's.
            Neither man kept a wartime diary and Hauser's daughter wants zero to do with the period (if alive).

A US person is a LOT easier to find private/family material.

Even the Munin books listed as bios are more on the units. I have the needed Hausser images, but what is available in text is all there is. And those close to him for input are gone. WWII has been over for 67 years as far as officer input. Most were born 1915-1920 who would have been close to Hausser in some junior capacity. Do the math. I'm looking at walls of dedicated 8x10s. All but TINT few are gone and physical/mental health of the remainder is VERY poor. What I got from those who kept a diary or knew clear points is of course in my books. Detail is hard. Do you know what you were doing on a particular day 2 years ago ? In this case it's decades ago. It's more complicated than someone who has not written anything biographical actually grasps to assimilate and produce accurate data. Trust me, I'm dealing with 1,000+ individuals in my series.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder what could be found in various local German archives, plus in Russian archives of captured docs. Just recently a Finnish historian published an in-depth analysis of Finnish officer corps from 1918 to 1939, solely based on archival records, and there was plenty of most interesting material plus the analysis was first class.

Comment

"Der Freiwillige"

Coming back to in-depth material, I was very pleasantly surprised recently when I read the new version of "Der Freiwillige" magazine by Patrick Agte / Munin-Verlag.

It's exclusively focussed on Military History and Militaria, no political themes.

I have the January/February 2012 issue here in front of me and the table of contents shows me amongst other topics:

- Bearer of the Close Combat Clasp in Gold Wolfgang Loose

- Knight's Cross winner Paul Maitla - Shot May 1945

- Italian Airborne-Division "Folgore" - Searching for his remains

- The Demjansk-Shield

- Preliminary and Formal Award documents of the Knight's Cross and it's higher grades.

I must say I really enjoy the articles since they hold a wealth of previously unpublished pieces of information, unpublished documents and photos.

Thumbs up for Patrick Agte and his team of writers.

Markus

Comment

Markus, do you have a website or address where I can order the new "Der Freiwillige" magazine? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus Richter View Post
                    Markus, do you have a website or address where I can order the new "Der Freiwillige" magazine? Thanks.
                    Klaus, yes I can hook you up. I got my subscription already and
                    can't wait for the next issue to come out. Maybe it's going to be the
                    one with my article on the captured Sepp Dietrich items...

I'll drop you a PM later tonight. I'm in the gym and off to the sauna! ;o)

Markus

Comment

Hauptsturmführer d.R. Hans Bernhard

Gents,

Yesterday I received a letter from the daughter of former HStuf. Hans Bernhard.

Hans was the "Leibstandarte" Ic, temporary Ia and later O1.

Most importantly he was my very good personal friend who assistent me incredibly in the making of the Wisch biography with his experiences and in-depth personal insight into the LAH and their commanders!

Unfortunately, Hans passed in 2010 and was not able to see the finished book anymore.

I therefore sent his daughter a copy of my book, especially since her father had written the foreword. Additionally I though she would like to read her father's report on how he personally rescued Theo Wisch from the battlefield and my short biography of her father's military career.

For weeks there was no reply from her....I started to seriously worry.

Was she offened about me including her father in this WW-2 "SS" book, which in Germany is still a somewhat very negative topic? She had sent me her father's TK ring (he wore it each day until his death) right after his passing though, saying her father would have wanted it this way...

Then finally today, her letter reached me and even though I do not want to disclose all the private lines, I was moved to read that when she read the acknowlegment part of my book where her father is mentioned, she started to cry and she continued that the whole family still misses him a lot.

Hans was a very special man. Even my Mexican wife still talks a lot about our visit to his home 2 months prior to his passing. A very well-educated man with a detailed eye for life and a good sense for poetry.

His daugther sent me all of her fathers military photos, etc. as an appreciation and asked me for another copy of my book for her daugther!

Hans's eldest granddaughter had been very fond of him and had listened to her Opa's stories many, many times. The Wisch-Bio would have a special place in her heart for the special presence of her grandfather in my book. Needless to say that I'm mailing out the requested copy tomorrow.

It's letters like this one, confirming that you have reached someone with your writing, that are so eternally rewarding.

...thought I'd share this with you here on the forum my friends....

Markus

Comment

Hi Markus,

I read your book twice since i received it last week & its a definite keeper for my library . Well done & thank you so much my friend

Ibrahim.
                        Last edited by ibrahim ahmad; 08-11-2012, 12:57 PM. Reason: .

Comment

A small addition to Markus's relation to former Hstuf. Hans Bernhard. I interviewed Bernhard in October 2009 and he indeed was a very nice person. During the interview and afterwards during the numerous telephone-conversations he was sharp, witty and sometimes emotional. Although I wouldn't call him a personal friend, it was good to have known the man who was not only charming but also a very good host during the interview at the respectable age of 89.

Comment

Thanks Mike!

That's good ol' Hans. What a wonderful man. Greatly missed. I remember well, that he had absolutely no objections to meet you and your dad for the interview that year. Always open and willing to help.

Note the TK ring he wears on his left ring! It's inscribed "H. Himmler S.lb. Bernhard 20.04.43".

Markus

Comment

Hi Markus,

Indeed, it took only one telephone call and a date was set. He had many, many anecdotes to tell and vividly remembered many experiences as if they had happened yesterday. Wisch, Witt, Dietrich, Mohnke, Ziemssen up to shaking hands with H.H.! I am glad I have it all on record.

Mike S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jochen S. View Post
                                Hi Markus,

Indeed, it took only one telephone call and a date was set. He had many, many anecdotes to tell and vividly remembered many experiences as if they had happened yesterday. Wisch, Witt, Dietrich, Mohnke, Ziemssen up to shaking hands with H.H.! I am glad I have it all on record.

Mike S.

Unfortunately he did not have too many recollections of Jochen Peiper. Only
                                the little episode at Panzer-Meyer's funeral where they met and took the photo
                                together. Now that I remember, you still owe me that copy of your dad's video-
                                interview.

Markus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X