MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review/comment: SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 11 "Nordland" SS AA Unit History book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review/comment: SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 11 "Nordland" SS AA Unit History book

SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 11 "Nordland" and the Swedish SS Platoon in the Baltic States, Pomerania, and Berlin 943-45

Herbert Poller, Martin Mansson, and Lennart Westberg

Originally published in German in a lesser detailed edition, this is among the best and most enjoyed SS divisional sub-element history books I've seen in years. The HB volume (368 pages) covers the reconnaissance detachment of the 11.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Nordland."

Very detailed in all aspects and levels pertaining to the unit, the text and images in this English edition incorporate more of the lifelong research and veteran contacts of a resected Swedish colleague, Lennart Westberg. Having known him 20+ years as a researcher of III.SS Korps units to include "Nordland," his particular emphasis has been research and veteran correspondence with former members at all levels of the "Nordland" Aufklärungsabteilung. In the course of that work he was of great help with my own volume on the German Cross in Gold holders of "Nordland." This tome is primarily a historical understanding of and combat history of a single elements of the division verses a divisional biographical/structural development topic volume as mine was.

In European style writing without footnotes, it is however instantly obvious the data and images it contains was acquired from a countless number of veterans at all levels over a period of decades. Having been privy to some of his correspondence, it was and is a case of knowing the overall and relevant even more than the veterans themselves, then using this to frame inquiries and interviews to find the missing gaps in great detail of an exceptional element of a historically popular division.

Likewise he was given access to copy or take notes from personal papers, diaries, and similar materials at all levels. From its overview, tactics section, battle information, maps, unpublished images of individuals, and other aspects of the unit, I can't imagine anyone ever compiling a more detailed history of SS-Aufklärungsabteilung 11.

Unfortunately, few have the diligence to compile similar studies of other SS divisional elements, and with the passing away of veterans the essential first person input is gone for such an undertaking in nearly all cases.

Due to its topic and parameters requiring effort beyond just staring at front/reverse photos thrown together in a week by questionable "experts," it is defiantly not in any sense of the type another mindless "buttons and insignia" militaria book. Unlike militaria books issued at the moment by those with minimal (or often zero) knowledge of the actual period history of a topic, or highly repetitive individual memoirs, this is about an entire unit in detail including the actual experienced combat operations of its personnel.

My favorite pages are the personal description of the final days of the war and POW experiences by, among others, Knight's Cross holder Georg Langendorf and German Cross in Gold holder Siegfried Lorenz. Bravo to all three authors.

Mark C. Yerger

I second that it is a very interesting book if you dont have it buy it now

Comment

I third the positive comments. I got this a few weeks ago, and have been reading through it constantly since. Besides the good aspects that Mark wrote about, the book takes the myth out of the III.(germ.) SS-Panzerkorps. Some previous authors have written about the corps, and the Narva-Tanneberg battles in an overly-heroic way, when these were actually horrific campaigns which lead to extremely heavy casualties on both sides. The Swedish volunteers, in particular, were mostly left disillusioned, to the point that many deserted.

The authors also make clear that Bernd Wegner was correct to describe the corps as neither particularly armored nor Germanic. Nordland and Nederland are two of my favorite units to study, but the real credit to their success lies in experienced German officers leading hard-working ethnic-Germans in battle, with some Scandinavians and Dutchmen caught up in it all. I still find it all fascinating, and this book only increased my enjoyment in studying this part of history.

Comment

Can any of you guys tell me where to purchase this book?
        Thanks
        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim W View Post
          Thanks
          Tim
          I bought mine from the Aberdeen Bookstore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim W View Post
            Thanks
            Tim
            Amazon has them. I got mine from Abebooks.

Great Book.

Comment

Hello Marc R.,

I love Aberdeen Bookstore and go there all the time here in Denver, Tom is the best TR Book Dealer in the state. Marc I also liked your W-SS Encyclopedia but May Nations one Motto was the best.

Best,

James

Comment

Hi James,

I know we exchanged comments now and then on Feldgrau, good to see you here. I moved from Colorado at the end of 2009. One of the things I miss most is having access to Aberdeen. I still order books from Tom, but now I can't walk in and examine them. I did stop by there when I visited the state back in October. I wish I could do it every few weeks, like I used to!

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm currently putting together a new large photo book for Helion. It will focus on Wiking, Nordland, Nederland and the Germanic Waffen-SS. I already have high quality scans of a number of photos from this SS-PAA 11 book we're discussing, courtesy of my friends Martin Mansson and Lennart Westberg. There will be a lot of material almost no one has seen before, so I hope and expect you'll enjoy it (to be released, probably, during 2012). In the meantime, this SS-PAA book is highly recommended if you don't already have it.

Originally posted by coburg22 View Post
                Hello Marc R.,

I love Aberdeen Bookstore and go there all the time here in Denver, Tom is the best TR Book Dealer in the state. Marc I also liked your W-SS Encyclopedia but May Nations one Motto was the best.

Best,

James

Comment

Its a very good book , i bought the Swedish edition back in 2006

Andy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by coburg22 View Post
                    Hello Marc R.,

Best,

James
                    Agreed I've been buying from Tom since 2002 and he is a great guy and very professional.
                    Always has an up to date great selection of TR and other war related books at very reasonable prices...

Comment

As a Narva researcher i can only join in with the recommendations of this book , superb work and many congratulations to Martin and Lennart for their work and of course Herbert Pollner.

Marc i'm looking forward to your next book already,

regards

Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X