Book Repair Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Repair Question

I have a period hardcover book that was accidentally dropped, now the pages have separated from the spine of the book. I know value is now considerably less, but I would like to have it repaired. Does anyone know of such a place that will repair or rebind a hardcover book? Thanks very much!

I'm a rare book collector, mostly 18th century English law, and I have had a few repaired or rebound. The best thing to do is find a rare book dealer in Canada, not just a used book dealer!!! Or check with the library special collections department at some local universities.

They can give you names of people that they use to have books repaired. Do not tackle the job yourself with glue, etc. It could permanently damage the book.
    If you don't have any luck in Canada, I can give you some leads here in the states. Or do a web search.
    Best of luck,
    Chris Werner
    "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
    -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Werner
      I'm a rare book collector, mostly 18th century English law, and I have had a few repaired or rebound. The best thing to do is find a rare book dealer in Canada, not just a used book dealer!!! Or check with the library special collections department at some local universities.

They can give you names of people that they use to have books repaired. Do not tackle the job yourself with glue, etc. It could permanently damage the book.
      If you don't have any luck in Canada, I can give you some leads here in the states. Or do a web search.
      Best of luck,
      Chris Werner
      Thanks very much Chris!

Comment

Hi,

I think it depends what the book is worth - I repaired many books myself.
        Perhaps you should let us know which book it is.
        Then we could figure out whether it´s worth or not makin contact to a professional "buchbinder" (german expression for the guy who fixes books).

Best wishes,

ustufvorwaerts
        silent leges et artes inter arma - im Waffenlärm schweigen die Gesetze und die Künste

Comment

Originally posted by ustufvorwaerts
          Hi,

I think it depends what the book is worth - I repaired many books myself.
          Perhaps you should let us know which book it is.
          Then we could figure out whether it´s worth or not makin contact to a professional "buchbinder" (german expression for the guy who fixes books).

Best wishes,

ustufvorwaerts
          Thanks, you are correct of course. It is "Mit Den Panzern In Ost Und West " by Guiderian, original hardcover book. Regardless of price I think I would like to have it repaired.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X