8. SS-Kavallerie Div.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8. SS-Kavallerie Div.

Does anybody know of any book in English on this division. Anything helps! Thank you.

Originally posted by Wood-SS View Post
    Does anybody know of any book in English on this division. Anything helps! Thank you.

I think there's two main author choices for actual, researched information (as opposed to recycled details that weren't very accurate in the first place). Mark Yerger's Riding East is the history of the SS-Kavallerie Brigade, the predecessor to the SS-Kavallerie Division. Mark updated some details for his recent Volume 4 in his series on German Cross in Gold Holders, which covers the holdiers from the SS-Kavallerie units.

The other choice is Rolf Michaelis, whose book on Waffen-SS Kavallerie Divisions has been translated from German to English recently. I don't have it, but it is supposed to be like his other books, which have good introductory information, but are not exhaustive studies of their subject.
    Last edited by MarcRikmenspoel; 03-14-2011, 12:36 AM. Reason: tpyos is bad!

Comment

Try Kavallerie-Divisionen der Waffen-SS im Bild, by Hanns Bayer, published by Munin Verlag. It is bi-lingual (German / English). This 220 page book is very heavy on original photographs and very light on text. ISBN 3-921242-48-7.

Al

Comment

The book by Charles Trang is quite good.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys

Comment

Originally posted by pimberg View Post
            The book by Charles Trang is quite good.

Oh my goodness, Charles is a friend of mine! How did I forget to mention his book? It is well worth seeking out (I believe it is currently out of print). Sorry Charles, in case you are reading this!

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
              I think there's two main author choices for actual, researched information (as opposed to recycled details that weren't very accurate in the first place). Mark Yerger's Riding East is the history of the SS-Kavallerie Brigade, the predecessor to the SS-Kavallerie Division. Mark updated some details for his recent Volume 4 in his series on German Cross in Gold Holders, which covers the holdiers from the SS-Kavallerie units.

The other choice is Rolf Michaelis, whose book on Waffen-SS Kavallerie Divisions has been translated from German to English recently. I don't have it, but it is supposed to be like his other books, which have good introductory information, but are not exhaustive studies of their subject.
              "Riding East" only covered the Brigade, volume 4 covers the pre-armed units established prior to 1939, the Brigade and both Cavalry Divisions. No disrespect intended or perhaps my statement misinterpretation, but the more recent book is considerably more than "updated." The amount of new material within volume 4 is vast both in comparison as well as numerically more specific topics (i.e. both divisions, Ia, etc) per parameters of the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
                "Riding East" only covered the Brigade, volume 4 covers the pre-armed units established prior to 1939, the Brigade and both Cavalry Divisions. No disrespect intended or perhaps my statement misinterpretation, but the more recent book is considerably more than "updated." The amount of new material within volume 4 is vast both in comparison as well as numerically more specific topics (i.e. both divisions, Ia, etc) per parameters of the series.
                Mark, my point was that you first wrote a book on the history of the SS-Kavallerie Brigade. Years later, you wrote a book focusing on the German Cross holders of the SS-Kavallerie, which wasn't just a repeat of the past information, but was updated with new information that had been found since the first book came out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X