Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book recommendations for the Battle of France 1940

Friends,

I'm looking to increase my knowledge of the Battle of France, May - June 1940

What book(s) would recommend? Is there a "classic" must read?

I'm interested in anything from a high level overview to an individual participant's view.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Ian

To Lose A Battle: France 1940 by Alistair Horne (ISBN: 978-0141030654) is a must.

For first hand accounts from the German side there is Blitzkrieg: In Their Own Words (ISBN: 978-0760321867) and there is also Blitzkrieg In The West Then & Now by Jean-Paul Pallud (ISBN: 978-0900913686) & The Battle Of France Then & Now by Peter D. Cornwell (ISBN: 978-1870067652) although this book deals with the aerial aspects of the campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
      To Lose A Battle: France 1940 by Alistair Horne (ISBN: 978-0141030654) is a must.
      x2. Horne's book did an excellent job in explaining France's fall to the Germans. Well written and informative.

Comment

The Will Fowler 'France, Holland, Belgium 1940 - 1941' book is a good basic introduction.

Comment

Yup, Horne's book is very good - one of the best WWII books, actually.

For a general view of Fall Gelb and any other part of the war, I would definitely recommend the Time-Life Third Reich Series. I've had it since it came out and have re-read various parts over the years. Recently, I've been reading through the whole thing again and find that its is actually very well balanced, very readable and a nice mix between an overview and an in-depth study. I think you can find this set pretty cheap on ebay these days.

Comment

Thanks Guys for all the responses - all the responses are very much appreciated.

I am going to start with "To Lose A Battle: France 1940"

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X