Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Yerger's Latest DK in Gold Book.

Has anyone received copies as yet ?
    I have ordered through Bender's and am looking forward to seeing the book pop in via the mail , hopefully this week or next now the bulk of the Xmas back log is cleared.

I just received my copy - signed collector's volume No. 7 - a few hours ago today (5.Jan) in the post. I live in Melbourne Australia.

Currently looking thru the book now and it is outstanding. I'll post more detailed thoughts about the book later.

Hope you receive your copy very soon - you will not be disappointed.

Comment

Disappointment is not being considered as all have to date have been excellent .
      I would expect a copy this week or early next week at the latest.
      Thanks for the reply and please post your views in due course.

Comment

I will have to check with my book guy, Jack Hatter of Volume Control, to see if he has his supply to sell yet. I hope so, it seems like it has been taking forever for this to hit the shelves

Comment

I heard from several who have their copies, he a small operation and moves as fast as he can.

Hilarious to me that Peter has his copy in Australia already, and I'm still waiting for my large box of copies bought for those who contributed.
          I shudder at the thought of that postage bill.

The intricacies of doing a book of the type Bender does are hard for anyone to understand who is not involved. Also he's painstaking in making additions and changes to the last minute.

Updated and changing PC programs is a big delay. Like most I use an IBM system and as a designer he use MAC. It's FAR more than a word file to transfer and have work. And he upgrades systems, photo programs for enhancement, etc on a regular basis.

Also, out of everyone's hands is the security back-up off the coast of CA. Customs is overwhelmed since 9/11 with every type of import from ships to the postal service. It must look like D-Day of either US coast with ships waiting, it's sometimes "hit or miss" how fast any one is checked and cleared. And Roger prints his books in Asia. Add printer delays, these 2 things he has no control and goes by dates he's told. In volume 5 he got a prototype copy and didn't like how 2 photos came out, so made them do the whole signature again (set of pages). Not something those I've dealt with in the past would notice, care about, or rectify.

All these factors are frustrating for me as well, but I appreciate the final product compared to any other publisher I've worked with or products I've seen.

From an author viewpoint, must say I feel honored to be in the Bender "stable" of authors, especially since he co-authored the first book I read on my subject. Now I've done more SS books than anyone else has with him, as well as more books actually written for those who understand how some other volumes are done.

And seems by the time a volume is "in hand" I'm actually nearly done with my work on the next one, as is the case with volume 6

Comment

My crate of copies came today, snow storm of course

Comment

Mark Yerger has done it again: produced a book (ie: Volume 5) matching the exceptional quality of the previous outstanding volumes in this series (ie: SS & Polizei German Cross in Gold Holders). Every year a large number of new books are authored & published on the Third Reich / SS / Second World War. The overwhelming majority of which are, to put it crudely, crap; and one regretts buying them. Fortunately absolute gems like Mark Yerger's books still keep on coming out on a regular basis for us to purchase and enjoy.
              There are a few SS bios on Generals/Leaders, etc by other researchers/authors that seem to stop after one volume, for some reason the other future volumes just don't appear (eg: "The SS Leadership Corps", "Leaders of the SS and German Police", "Personen Lexican der NSDAPNB: an exception to this is Schulz & Zinke's series). However Mark continues to persevere in churning his books out. One can only imagine what a massive effort this must be. I believe we can expect another 5 volumes!
              The information contained in Volume 5 on the Polizei Division is second to none and the same applies to the photos and documents. Fortunately the publisher ignores that annoying habit, in my opinion, whereby the documents and photos are laid out slightly askew and overlapping each other that seems rather popular now a days in books. An additional beauty about the series is that each volume has an addendum providing important updates and corrections on the previous volumes including the German Cross in Silver book that came out over 8 years ago.

To conclude R.James Bender Publishing is like Mark perfectionists. It continues to be a great partnership. CONGRATULATIONS to both the publisher and author in bringing out a must buy book for anyone interested in the SS and in general German history during the Third Reich.

Comment

I am eagerly waiting on mine to wing it's way to here. I think I will try and order signed copies in future !

Comment

I managed number 200 in Vol 1 , 21 in Vol 3 and 15 in Vol. 4 so it is a matter of interest to see "what number" 5 comes back as.

I have had no complaints at all for Volumes 1-4 and am quite sure "5" will be 100%.

Whilst matters SS are not my primary interest in WW2 history it is refreshing to see new and primary information coming into print.

Comment

Got my copy this morning number 30 and one is not going to be disappointed.

I would have to admit that the majority of these "Holders" will not be known to me as I know next to nothing about the Polizei Division and Police Units in general , a quick look through does show some "names and faces I know" A FROM OTHER READING but for me this will be a largely a new learning experience. ( And there is nothing wrong with that).

I hope Mark will not mind my posting the Table of Contents.

The updates for German Cross in Silver and Vols. 1-4 in this DK in Gold series show a commitment to the quality of this series. ( Addendum , 287- 306 ).

In terms of production RJB has again produced a quality product, clean clear and sound in every respect the font is easy to read and the photographs are of good quality and their reproduction is excellent.

Having read over this thread again I would agree with everything Peter /Pimberg has said the mass of books on 33-45 which come out is huge and like many paying for quality is a saving in the long run.

Money very well spent, absolutely.
                    Last edited by behblc; 01-13-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comment.

Regards the rather lengthy addendum that covers the five prior volumes, and not wanting anyone to shudder at that many pages of just text; the area consists of a considerable number of new photos and award documents in addition to new text data.

The research is never ending, at least for me while I'm above ground.

Comment

Mark I think your approach to the subject has made it far from "dry", the format of presentation certainly works and the photographic content has been really excellent.
                        You mentioned earlier that Rodger Bender does go that extra mile to see that everything is "just right" - that is what marks (no word play intended) his firm out from some of it rivals.
                        So often good books are let down by bad production standards, I am delighted to see yours have been given standard of production they deserve.

A word of credit for RJ Benders .... I bought marks DK in Silver book - I got what I consider to be a rogue copy as the spine started to fall apart. I took a few photos and emailed the publisher who contacted me at once and two weeks later had a replacement on my doorstep . (US to Europe)

Mark , long may you be "above ground".
                        Best Regards
                        js

Comment

Recieved my copy yesterday. An excellent book as the others!!

Very detailled and with some very nice and rare photos!!!

Another must have book!!!

AJ

Comment

I just collected my copy this evening and it's a very well presented book. The quality of the paper and the overall look and feel of it is very high. The photos, layout and cover are all excellent. I have just started reading it but it is very interesting and comprehensive and all round impressive. By coincidence I recently picked up a photo album to a polizei battalion involved with Kampfgruppe Jeckeln around Leningrad & wolchow so it is all the more interesting to read about it here. I would agree with the earlier comments about the updates and the level of effort & attention to detail which obviously went into this.

Comment

GC Vol 5

In my opinion German Cross in Gold Vol 5 is one of Marks best books to date. What really impressed me besides the vast amount of information he gathered and presented in a very readable format, are the bios on Gunther Anhalt, Helmut Dorner and Otto Gieseke, those guys are impossible to find factual information on, yet Mark managed it. This book is another 'must have' for anyone interested in the history of the Police Division.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X