Stalingrad TR survivors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalingrad TR survivors

I wanted to read an account of any of the only 5,000-9,000 Stalingrad POW's that made it back to Germany. Any good books?

Thanks

Kelly, here is good movie to watch.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=380382
    Ralph.

Comment

Just checked, the movie is available on netflix for instant streaming, for those who have that feature.
      I'll be watching it.

Comment

Thanks RB, you have great knowledge of this forum and past articles

Not Stalingrad POW?, but story looks interesting. I will look for it
        Last edited by Kelly w; 01-02-2011, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Horst Zank - Stalingrad

This is a good one:

ISBN-10: 3813207234
          ISBN-13: 978-3813207231
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
            This is a good one:

ISBN-10: 3813207234
            ISBN-13: 978-3813207231
            Thanks, but english? German version at Amazon for $41.00 yikes!
            Last edited by Kelly w; 01-02-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Less of an account and more of a critique... but I would recommend it...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS View Post
                Just checked, the movie is available on netflix for instant streaming, for those who have that feature.
                I'll be watching it.
                After seeing this, wouldn't recommend it.
                Has 0 to do with Stalingrad, no combat whatsoever, very little of life in the gulags, most of it was getting chased by imaginary wolf packs and making whoopee with horny eskimo maidens.

Comment

A minority opinion. In fact you're the only one that disliked it. So the 12 others in RB's link that liked it are what?

I will still watch it.
                  Last edited by Kelly w; 01-03-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Whilst AFAMFCCM is an entertaining film it is not really anything which could be quoted or looked upon as history , history is history and AFAMFCCM is not history.
                    It tends to get regular "outings" on Sky / Cable TV so I would save the $41 and catch it there.

Comment

Does anyone know about the non-Germans captured at Stalingrad? We all hear that 5,000 Germans made it home, but over a third of men in Stalingrad were non-German I believe. Romanians, Italians, Hungarians, Russians, Hiwis, etc. How many of these survived?

Comment

Kelly,

If you already have a serious problem spending $41 for a book in german language then why do you ask this question and start this thread?

It is the best german book I know about Stalingrad and the author took part in the whole thing - and he even managed to take - and save! - taking pictures from their time of captivity.

Where else can one find that?

You have a problem with german language?

Well, too bad - then why do you like german history and how do you think you will manage to understand our culture?

Comment

Hi Kelly,

check out my thread here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...92#post4411892

this documentary tells the story in the last part of the survivors in the camps, right up to when they step off the trains to see their loved ones 6 years after being held captive by the Russians.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                            Kelly,

If you already have a serious problem spending $41 for a book in german language then why do you ask this question and start this thread?

It is the best german book I know about Stalingrad and the author took part in the whole thing - and he even managed to take - and save! - taking pictures from their time of captivity.

Where else can one find that?

You have a problem with german language?

Well, too bad - then why do you like german history and how do you think you will manage to understand our culture?
                            I want to read the thing, English please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I won't pay $41 to have it sit on the shelf.

I am German but can't read it. Both my Gramps faught on German side WW2 and survived. One Great Gramps faught WW1, died gas attack.
                            Last edited by Kelly w; 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

My mom remembers very well the day when she as a little girl and the whole family went to an aunt who was one of the few people in their village owning a radio to listen to a speaker´s voice who read the list of soldiers living in their district coming home from Russia.

That was 1955 and if she remembers anything clear like it was yesterday from her childhood then it was that day - nobody spoke a word, they were all quietly sitting in front of that radio, waiting and hoping for hearing known names of friends, husbands, sons, nephews, fathers...crying because they heard a known name or because they did not.

Whoever did so always remembered one name: Adenauer!

When Adenauer died in 1967 the majority of german political culture went rapidly downhill afterwards - the loud spoiled brats of 1968 started their sub-culture programm...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X