X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Book on Romanian Orders: review

Folks,
    I have just had the good fortune of receiving an advance copy of Antti
    Ruokonen’s work entitled “Yesterday and Today’s Knights, Orders of Romania.”
    Brilliant work. Ruokonen does more than bring us the rarely told story of the
    beautiful and oft neglected gems that make up the heraldic symbols of Romania’s
    bravest and most worthy sons and daughters. His huge 512 page labor of love
    features magnificent oversized photos of both the obverse and reverse of each
    decoration, the various types, (type 1, type 2, etc.) and their respective
    dimensions. The author has taken on the difficult task of listing the numbers
    of each award presented, although Romanian source material is sometimes lacking
    due to incomplete records. Nonetheless, this does not distract from the overall
    presentation, which catalogs both award documents and cases, and features a
    number of period, never before published portraits showing the awards in wear.
    The reader will be amazed at the variety of awards presented, including my
    personal favourite, the Grand Cross of the Order of the Ruling House, bearing a
    striking resemblance to the Prussian House Hohenzollern and Princely
    Hohenzollern orders. It was interesting to read that the makers of Romanian
    decorations also included French and German firms, and a delight to discover
    the Romanian manufacturers were not to be outdone in terms of craftsmanship.

The historic importance of Ruokonen’s work is illustrated in the multiple
    Forewords of the book, written by no less a person than the State Advisor and
    Chancellor of the Romanian Orders, Gheorghe Angelescu, followed by the esteemed
    Special Counsellor of Royal Decorations and Orders, Adrian Buga. In an unheard
    of honor, the author himself was presented with a Knight’s Cross of the
    Cultural Merit Order by the President of Romania in appreciation of his work.
    How many authors of like books can claim that!?

Antti Ruokonen has done an immense service to the field of collecting and
    appreciating medals and decorations by taking on a topic once neglected, but
    now able to shine again through the pages of his book. His love of the topic is
    clearly evident, and contagious to the reader. Although a Finn, Ruokonen
    narrates the book in English, a service rendering it accessible to a very wide
    audience.

Antti Ruokonen has opened a long closed door on a very proud heritage, and a
    family of decorations that continue to be awarded to this day. I am proud
    to place his work on the shelf of my library.

Well done Antti!
    Stephen

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X