Favorite War Movie Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite War Movie Part II

Since there were so many responses to the previous favorite war movie thread, I decided to start a new poll with some of the ones mentioned in that thread but not in the poll. Due to size limitations, I stuck with WWII movies only and added a couple of good ones that have come out since that thread was started.

Personally, I think all of these are good. And you can make multiple selections!
    Band of Brothers
    35.75%
    Die Valkure
    3.11%
    Downfall
    26.94%
    Where Eagles Dare
    3.63%
    The Dirty Dozen
    1.55%
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    4.15%
    The Desert Fox
    2.07%
    Cross of Iron
    14.51%
    The Great Escape
    4.15%
    Patton
    4.15%

There are some real classics in that poll but I have to vote BOB purely for the realism

Nick

Comment

What, no Kelly's Heroes ?!?!

Comment

Where's Zulu? That's my favorite...

-Eric

Comment

Not

And no mention of "The Duelists"

Comment

were's The Reader purely for the action
            wayne

Comment

Since my post on the original poll, I'll have to add "All Quiet On The Western Front" with Ernest Borgnine to my favorites list.

Comment

THE WANNSEE CONFERENCE. No violence, but if you are paying attention to the cold-bloodedness of the participants to kill millions, it's a chiller.
                I also haven't found it on DVD yet. Might have to take my VHS and DVD it myself!

Comment

I've never understood why Cross of Iron was so popular. It was terrible in my opinion.

Comment

Favorite War Movie

Originally posted by Sathukles View Post
                    I've never understood why Cross of Iron was so popular. It was terrible in my opinion.
                    Hello,
                    I agree with you about the film Cross of Iron, I saw the film in 1977 when I was 13 and did not care much for it then. I of course have watched it several times over the years.

My wife bought a nice DVD copy of it for me a few weeks ago (I collect war films). I was home on Wednesday from work and I took the time to watch it again and I still can't get into it. The scenes I did get into were the parts that involved James Mason and David Warner.

Overall I found the movie lacking and I felt a lot of the dialogue uttered by James Coburn to be really silly and rather insipid. I think the film could benefit from more editing (some scenes were way too long).

I think it is one of those films that many don't care that much for but are afraid to admit they don't really like it that much. To each his own.

Another thing that bothered me in the movie is that the Russians wore repainted Italian helmets.

Regards,
                    Jody

Comment

War Movies

Originally posted by TP Alexander View Post
                      THE WANNSEE CONFERENCE. No violence, but if you are paying attention to the cold-bloodedness of the participants to kill millions, it's a chiller.
                      I also haven't found it on DVD yet. Might have to take my VHS and DVD it myself!
                      Hello,
                      I also loved The Wannsee Conference and am upset it will probably never make it to DVD. The only version I have a is a VHS tape that I used to record it off of TV when my local PBS station aired in the late 1980's.

Regards,
                      Jody

Comment

Bear Island & Patton. & of course Starship Troopers, but that doesn't count here.

Comment

Hello,

I am a "Bridge too Far" kind of bloke, clearly a little dated now but none the less an outstanding film

Regards,

Mark.

Comment

Hello Mark
                            I like the scenes where the planes are bombing the woods. It was quite something then before all the movie tricks they have now.

I really was awe struck by the first 25mins of Private Ryan but hated the rest. Iam not a Speilberg fan.
                            The last battle where they are defending the the bridge? Iam not or ever have been a soldier, but why would you have the bottleneck bridge at your back?
                            The hand to hand fight scene in the room is too upsetting, I can put up with most things but its over the top.

Eric

Comment

How bout "They were Expendable" with John Wayne & Kirk Douglas.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X