Field Marshall Manstein by Marcel Stein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Marshall Manstein by Marcel Stein

Just wondering if anyone here has read the book on Manstien by Marcel Stein?
    It contains a lot of stuff not available elsewhere on Manstein.

Yes excellent read

Comment

Manstein book

Hello,
      I also plan on buying it.

Jody

Comment

Jody,

It's worth buying in my view. The author stresses the fact that it's a portrait and not a biography of Manstein. Unlike other books, this one devotes a lot of pages to Manstein's involvement in the holocoust, the July 20th plot and his trial. There are very minor points that I disagree with such as the authors's claim that Manstein was not a great general because he lied in court. IMO a general's performance should be judged mainly on his military achievements irrespective of his political beliefs or the government he represents. He also mentions that Hilter was a lazy man because he spent most of the day in bed, without mentioning that this was because he spent most of the night working and had insomnia. Overall, a very well researched book and worth very cent or penny...
        Last edited by Fariz; 10-10-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

There was a comparison review of three Manstein biographies (by Mungo Melvin, Stein and Benoit Lemay) on www.sonic.net/~bstone just recently!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X