CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the

Hi Guys after four years myself and David Garden have finally finished the book about my Uncle Hager and his service on the Eastern Front.It is a Schiffer Publication and is available from The Treasure Bunker.

The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the Russian Front 1941-1945 by Kenneth Andrew and David Garden

The Treasure Bunkers First Book The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the Russian Front 1941-1945.
    Erich Hager is the Uncle of Treasure Bunker Owner Kenneth Andrew, in this book by Kenneth Andrew and David Garden you can read his unique personal account of the war on the Russian Front, written using the diaries and photos of Erich Hager who served in the 39th Panzer Regiment, 17th Panzer Division throughout the war in Russia. Hager rose to the rank of Unteroffizier and served as a company commander's tank radio operator. During this time he kept diaries in which he recorded the events he went through every day at the front. His diaries have been translated and are presented with additional notes. Hager also took many personal photographs of comrades, and vehicles - many are included here. The book also includes a chapter on the 17th Panzer Division. Despite taking part in many battles on the Russian Front, including the attempted relief effort at Stalingrad, little information on the 17th Panzer Division has been published. Hager's material provides a tremendous insight into the war on the Russian Front from a front line soldier's perspective.
    Attached Files

That looks like a must read Kenny! Congratulations

Nick

Comment

Dang...another one on the 17th. I just ordered the other recent one on the boards here..."Into the Den of the Bear". I would really like to get this one as well. Guess will have to wait till done with the other. Was his uncle able to be interview for input into this book, or is it just from the diaries and other information that was at hand? Thanks for posting this.
      Mike

Comment

Thanks Guys

Mike, Unfortunately my uncle passed away four years ago, that is how I inherited his diaries , so he was not able to input directly , however the diaries and photos are pretty impressive. It's just a real pity he never got to see the book.

Comment

Very sorry to hear that Kenny. I know he would be proud. I am looking forward to getting this, as well as the other 17th Pz book. I remember another book I read awhile back...7 days in january...the person the book was written about died just days before it was released. Sadly that is happening to all of our old Vets. I am glad the story is getting told, so many will not.....
          Mike

Comment

New Panzer book

Great book Kenny! Its a superb well written first hand account of the battles and experiences of a German Panzer NCO radio operator on the Eastern Front.Taken from the diaries of Erich Hagar one reads of the events, battles and everyday life in a frontline tank regiment.I found the diaries captivating and literally could'nt put the book down reading it in its entirety over two evenings! The book is liberally littered with Erichs photos and bring the diary visually to life.Many photos clearly detail German tanks and vehicles, also his fellow crew members of his tank,and his comrades in his regiment, many of whom are killed in action giving the book an added poignancy.This book is a valuable addition to the military history of the Eastern Front and as a personal diary account of a combatant brings a freshness to the subject. Many historians in this area get bogged down with the strategic arguments and history of these campaigns.That is natural and relevent of course but quite often removes the human element and one becomes embroiled in numbers and statistics thus forgetting that those numbers are flesh and blood.Erichs diary makes one feel for and remember that these were real people who fought and died in a war of great brutality,but also that there were moments of laughter and happiness.As the decades pass and veterans fade away diaries like Erichs are an important testament to those young men who endured and suffered in the crucible of war. I have read a number of diaries from Napoleonic to ww2 and can certainly say that is one of the most engaging and interesting.I would highly recommend this book to any student of the Eastern Front and indeed WW2, and essential reading for those interested in the Panzer formations.Excellent.
            Last edited by springbok ben; 10-09-2010, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Kenny
              Got your book two days ago and so far had only few minutes to look over it. Like vey much the format and presentation.
              I'll start reading it this weekend
              Rodolfo

Comment

Thanks Rodolfo

Look forward to hearing what you think of it

Comment

Thanks to everyone that bought and read the book. It was a real job to get the diaries translated but worth it for the end result. It's a pity that Erich did not live to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny andrew View Post
                    Hi Guys after four years myself and David Garden have finally finished the book about my Uncle Hager and his service on the Eastern Front.It is a Schiffer Publication and is available from The Treasure Bunker.

The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the Russian Front 1941-1945 by Kenneth Andrew and David Garden

The Treasure Bunkers First Book The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the Russian Front 1941-1945.
                    Erich Hager is the Uncle of Treasure Bunker Owner Kenneth Andrew, in this book by Kenneth Andrew and David Garden you can read his unique personal account of the war on the Russian Front, written using the diaries and photos of Erich Hager who served in the 39th Panzer Regiment, 17th Panzer Division throughout the war in Russia. Hager rose to the rank of Unteroffizier and served as a company commander's tank radio operator. During this time he kept diaries in which he recorded the events he went through every day at the front. His diaries have been translated and are presented with additional notes. Hager also took many personal photographs of comrades, and vehicles - many are included here. The book also includes a chapter on the 17th Panzer Division. Despite taking part in many battles on the Russian Front, including the attempted relief effort at Stalingrad, little information on the 17th Panzer Division has been published. Hager's material provides a tremendous insight into the war on the Russian Front from a front line soldier's perspective.
                    Was Kursk part of his war record? That was hell!

Comment

Hi Kelly,

no thankfully the 17th Panzer Division were held in reserve during Kursk but were ready to be thrown in, luckily he did not need to take part otherwise the Diaries would probably never have been completed ,he did however take part in his fair share of hell in the other battles he took part in,but yes Kursk was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny andrew View Post
                        Hi Kelly,

no thankfully the 17th Panzer Division were held in reserve during Kursk but were ready to be thrown in, luckily he did not need to take part otherwise the Diaries would probably never have been completed ,he did however take part in his fair share of hell in the other battles he took part in,but yes Kursk was bad.
                        Ok thanks.

Comment

just recieved my copy ,beautifully laid out and formatted book , i will relish reading this!

Comment

Kenny
                            I just finished reading the book a few weeks ago. What really call my attention is the day by day sequences of this panzer soldier. Amazing what it takes to keep those iron monster [panzers] in working condition and how difficult is to feed yourself during combat. The constant strain from combat, losses of friends and the unknown are just a few hints from this work. How you cope with experiences like this is one sure thing my generation will never find out [thanks' God]. Also the photos are by itself a impressive visual travel to the past.

This is one unique opportunity to travel to the past during reading.

Wish I can have more impression like this from other veterans.

A valuable addition to the military history of the Eastern Front

Comment

Thanks guys

for your kind comments. It makes all the work worthwhile.

I add the comments from my wife's son and daughter in law, who asked for a copy of the book and read it. They had no previous interest in military history but are now interested in the Ostfront. It shows we can bring others into the hobby! I have directed them to WA!

"I got Dave's book yesterday , get him to give himself a big pat on the back , brill. Some general first pages of comment .

1) Always been down to pictures for me and boy does this pack them in , if there's any guys out there into detail on models this there book , even comments on the uniform being converted and a note of tank not having it's exhaust , brill.

2) Comments through out are from the diary writer himself and glad to see that Dave's left these to talk for themselves, as tempting it has may have been to adjust .

3) The story has an natural flow and even feeling the emotions of the writer through his anticipation of whats around the next corner .

4) You can already tell early on for me that talking about some of the appalling conditions these guys at to put up with was not only difficult to comprehend on the eye but almost impossible to detail in it's full on the suffering these guys went through.

5) On a more brighter note it's interesting how they managed to feed them selves on foraging on the land and certainly on some occasions even with all the odds stacked up against them in the early part of the invasion of Russia got pulled into a false sense of security considering what they could actually have to eat .

Great and only just started . Andy x "

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X