UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An examination of a "TEXTBOOK" S&L Kight's Cross: The Facts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An examination of a "TEXTBOOK" S&L Kight's Cross: The Facts!

There has been a lot of conjecture, concerning Steinhauer & Lueck Knight's Crosses.Especially, as there have been bad ones being sold by a certain German Dealer, which I will deal with on a separate occassion.
    I present this S& L Knight's Cross which I bought a few years ago from a truly reputable German dealer.It is a "Text book" example, if you use Harald Geissler as a reference and allow for manufacturer's tolerances.As every Knight's Cross is unique as there are slight differences in the finished product due to hand finishing of each piece.
    The weights and measurements are as follows:Height with suspension loop 48,05mm, width 48,05 mm.
    Weight: 29,74 gramm with suspension ring.
    Iron Centre, Silver frame stamped 800 on back under eyelet.The beading shows signs of silver oxide (frosting) and the suspension loop is stamped 932.The recipient was Hauptmann of Grenadiers
    Juergen Koellner, awarded on 4/5/1944.
    Pictures of the Knight's Cross described are shown below.

The full back view!

Comment

Another view of the Cross,sorry about the picture quality!

Comment

Another angle.

Comment

The suspension loop.

Comment

The 800 silver stamp.
            Attached Files

Comment

More pics!

Comment

More pics.

Comment

This concludes my contribution to the topic of Knight's Crosses.Hope it helps someone!
                  Servus,
                  Josef

Comment

Very Nice Seppl.... but can you possibly give a close up of the 3 o'clock arm, obverse & reverse ?
                    rgds

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't give a close up the 3'oclock arm as the camera is broken.BUT,my cross DOESN'T have the die flaw!
                      Which I have seen on a suspect S&L Cross here in Sydney, which came from you know who in Germany.
                      Servus,
                      Josef

Comment

Yes, thic KC is out of my collection,I have had 3 KCs in the last 5 years.
                        I decided to keep the S&L KC as it was the sexiest one!
                        As to the Contraversy about "flawed" S&L KCs, I don't believe that such a flaw on a high decoration would pass quality control!
                        Even an EK2 would not be passed with such an obvious imperfection!!

Comment

You are completel wrong on that, - over the years I have had dozens of original EK2 and EK1 with the flaw including early Schinkelform pieces.

Gordon

Comment

To Gordon,
                            I was trying to make a point that such a high class decoration, as a Knight's Cross would not pass quality control with such flaws!!
                            As to lower grades of the Iron Cross, minor flaws would have occurred, I have seen it on LDO made pieces especially.I have personally, never owned any 3rd Reich pieces with flaws, because maybe I'm a perfectionist, and I have a lot of top quality pieces in my collection.Detlev can attest to that, as he knows what my standards are and sold me many pieces of such quality.
                            Being of German origin, I am also proud of the reputation the Germans have for precision and pride of workmanship, as my late father was Master tradesman trained in Stuttgart and won many awards here for his superb workmanship, which he always put down to his German training standards!!!

Comment

Here is a foto of the "1813" to complete this thread!
                              Servus,
                              Josef
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X