Nazi Propaganda Film Made in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nazi Propaganda Film Made in the USA

I was surprised to learn of this today in our local paper. "Der Kaiser von Kalifornien" is a German western made in 1935-36 on location here in the USA. It chronicles the life of John Sutter, of California Gold Rush fame (but here re-named Johann Suter). Although Sutter was Swiss, he is portrayed as a German, and ostensibly the victim of the US capitalist system. It was directed and produced by Luis Trenker, who also stars in the film. The film was a favorite of Goebbels and Hitler, and won an Italian award for best foreign film of 1936.

Based upon reviews, they say the film still holds up well today, and is better than the American version. It can be watched on youtube in parts--quality is pretty good.

Filming locations are California, Nevada, and Arizona (apparently Sedona and Yuma for you fellow "Zonies.")
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

BTW, as an aside, the German tourists still flock in droves to the Grand Canyon, Prescott, Tucson, and most of all, the land of Wyatt Earp, ie, Tombstone. They even dress up like cowboys, and signs in stores are also in Deutsche!
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

You're right about that last time I visited Germany (since I'm from Texas) my friends would not let me out of the house unless I wore my stetson & boots

Comment

Cultural history is interesting

Interesting thread.
        I know what you all mean, some German tourists also seek out Amerindians.
        that movie and the old Karl May German Western novels that Hitler loved have somthing to do with it.
        Also dont forget how beloved the "Bonanza" tv show was (and especially big Hoss) in Germany.

Cultural history is interesting

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X