The Forgotten Highlander..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Forgotten Highlander..

Hi, everyone last night i spent an evening with Alistair Urquhart, talking about his No.1 best selling book, The Forgotten Highlander. Alistair was born in 1919
    and is one of the last surviving members of the Scottish regiment the Gordon
    Highlanders, he was shipped to Singapore and captured by the Japs on the 15.2.42. He was sent to work on the death railway and death marches.
    Alistair survived starvation,cholera, and numerous other diseases as well as physical and mental toture. He was on a rusting Hellship bound for Japan when it was torpedoed by an American Sub, in the shark infested waters of the South China sea,he drifted for days until eventually recaptured and transported only 11 miles from a fateful city called Nagasaki, which he bore witness to one of the most momentous and terrible actions of human history.
    He was released on the 14.10.1945..
    Alistair is a true gent and it was a great pleasure to meet him...

Sounds very interesting, these heros are passing on every day, it is important that their stories and experiences remain with us. You are very fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet him.

Comment

Are you certain it was the Gordon Highlanders? A battalion of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders was captured at Singapore, but I don't believe the Gordons participated in the Malayan campaign.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
        Are you certain it was the Gordon Highlanders? A battalion of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders was captured at Singapore, but I don't believe the Gordons participated in the Malayan campaign.

Bob Shoaf
        Yes it was definately the Gordon Highlanders the 2nd Battallion as my Grandfather was captured at Singapore the same as Alistair Urquhart, and yes their were Argylls their aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Tasker View Post
          Yes it was definately the Gordon Highlanders the 2nd Battallion as my Grandfather was captured at Singapore the same as Alistair Urquhart, and yes their were Argylls their aswell.
          My apologies; you are correct. For some reason, I thought that the only Highland Battalion at Singapore was the Argylls.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

as a scotsman, Stirling born and Glasgow raised, I'd like to know more about Scotlands military history!

Comment

I also went along on Thursday night to Mr Urquharts talk, a very enjoyable evening (I was slightly nervous about what it would be like) Mr Urquhart managed to find a good balance in his tales covering the horrors but also injecting moments of humour - a great man and it was an honour to shake his hand afterwards.

Alistair

Comment

This book is highly recomended. I am still in awe how a man can survived such conditions in a Jap POW camp.

Juerg
                Strength and Honour
                http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AB64 View Post
                  I also went along on Thursday night to Mr Urquharts talk, a very enjoyable evening (I was slightly nervous about what it would be like) Mr Urquhart managed to find a good balance in his tales covering the horrors but also injecting moments of humour - a great man and it was an honour to shake his hand afterwards.

Alistair
                  Hi Alistair, it was a good night, i managed to have a chat with Mr Urquart before the event asking if he knew my Grandfather as they were in the same Battallion and in Changi jail but unfortunately he never knew him. I also managed to have my picture taken with him aswell as sign my book and a photo of him i had printed. you would never believe the horror he was put through as he was so lively and good humoured with a firm handshake.

thanks for all your comments...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X