Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Rations of the German Wehrmacht in World War II"

Hi all,

has anyone seen or know something of the quality of this book? Schiffer is on and off with their pubs and I'm hoping they did good with this book.

Rations of the German Wehrmacht in World War II by Tim Block and Jim Pool

thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think the books a go. We have already corrected the text files and they are ready to go. Right now the book is with their technical department to size and edit the pictures. Once thats done we get to review the pictures and make any last changes.After that it goes to print. Whether it will be done by May is doubtful, but I'm sure it will be ready by this summer. Not sure "they did good with this book" is aimed at Schiffer or Tom and I. The US Army ration report put out by the U.S. Army QM corp forms the basis around which the book is built. We added a lot of additional info from wartime German publications and manuals. In some cases the manufacturers like Bahlsen assisted us. All in all we think its a good product and should form the cornerstone of any future publications on German rations. Heres a look at the table of contents.

Table of Contents

Acknowledgements
    Forward
    Introduction
    Chapter 1 Cereal and Baked Products
    Chapter 2 Dairy Products
    Chapter 3 Fish, Fats, and Poultry Products
    Chapter 4 Meat Products
    Chapter 5 Fruit and Vegetable Products
    Chapter 6 Coffees, Tea and Other Beverages
    Chapter 7 Spices, Baking aids, Bouillon, and Miscellaneous
    Chapter 8 Sugars, Candy, Jams, and Other Desert Products
    Chapter 9 Beverages
    Chapter 10 Emergency and Special Ration Items
    Annex 1 The Supply of Wehrmacht Rations
    Annex 2 Special Considerations
    Annex 3 Field Manual H. Dv. 86/1
    Annex 4 The Wehrmacht Ration Can
    Annex 5 The Scho-Ka-Kola Story
    Annex 6 Personal Cookers
    Annex 7 Wartime Articles About Bread
    Annex 8 Utilization of Foreign Rations by the German Armed Forces
    Annex 9 Miscellaneous Products
    Glossary
    Bibliography
    Trademark Information

Hopefully this answers your question. Regards Jim Pool and Tom Bock

Originally posted by Goffredo View Post
    Hi all,

has anyone seen or know something of the quality of this book? Schiffer is on and off with their pubs and I'm hoping they did good with this book.

Rations of the German Wehrmacht in World War II by Tim Block and Jim Pool

thanks, Jeff

Comment

Hi Jim....I'm drooling just looking at the table of contents!!! The amount of time and effort you and your co-writer have put into this is nothing less than monumental! I can't wait to get a copy.....please keep this thread posted of the progress.....cheers...rich

Comment

Hi Tim and Jim,

apologies if my message was misunderstood about the authors Schiffer publishes (e.g. you folks), I was writing of the quality of Schiffer's copy editing, binding, etc. I have a number of their books and it seems that they don't use the same publishing teams or have a rock steady quality control team. I never know until I get the book in my hands.

I became very excited once I saw this was coming out and I thought you folks were involved and am looking forward to reading/learning from it. You are a great resource on rations for this board, it will be great to see all the info between two covers!

Jeff

Comment

Just to let everyone know we did the final edit on the book this weekend. The book looks great. We will get a chance to see the final version to make sure all the corrections we made were incorperated. So hopefully it will go to the printer in the next few weeks.Jim

Originally posted by Goffredo View Post
          Hi Tim and Jim,

apologies if my message was misunderstood about the authors Schiffer publishes (e.g. you folks), I was writing of the quality of Schiffer's copy editing, binding, etc. I have a number of their books and it seems that they don't use the same publishing teams or have a rock steady quality control team. I never know until I get the book in my hands.

I became very excited once I saw this was coming out and I thought you folks were involved and am looking forward to reading/learning from it. You are a great resource on rations for this board, it will be great to see all the info between two covers!

Jeff

Comment

Jim let me know as soon as you recieve the first batch from the printers i will have one off you and my friend said he will probably have one off you aswell
            cant wait to get my claws into this book!!

Adam

Comment

Hi Adam,

Will do. Schiffer is making good progress with the corrections. At least a third of the way through. It might go off to the printer this week or early next week. Then I have no idea how long it will take to print and ship it from China. Its probably been 2+ years since we started the book and its almost done. Now maybe I can give back to a hobby thats given me so much pleasure and relieved me of so much money over the last 30+ years.Jim

Originally posted by reidmuller View Post
              Jim let me know as soon as you recieve the first batch from the printers i will have one off you and my friend said he will probably have one off you aswell
              cant wait to get my claws into this book!!

Adam

Comment

Hey Jim,

I do hope to get a low number signed edition of the book...hint...hint!!! I'm with you on the expense over the past 30 plus years.

Bill

Originally posted by djpool View Post
                Hi Adam,

Will do. Schiffer is making good progress with the corrections. At least a third of the way through. It might go off to the printer this week or early next week. Then I have no idea how long it will take to print and ship it from China. Its probably been 2+ years since we started the book and its almost done. Now maybe I can give back to a hobby thats given me so much pleasure and relieved me of so much money over the last 30+ years.Jim

Comment

Hey Bill,

I think you can guess what your getting for X Mas this year ha,ha. Well the book is finished and off to the printers. Jim

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                  Hey Jim,

I do hope to get a low number signed edition of the book...hint...hint!!! I'm with you on the expense over the past 30 plus years.

Bill

Comment

Hey Jim,

Then I'm looking forward to seeing Sergeant Santa this year!!!!!

Originally posted by djpool View Post
                    Hey Bill,

I think you can guess what your getting for X Mas this year ha,ha. Well the book is finished and off to the printers. Jim

Comment

Thank you!!!

This is the book i have been waiting for. It has been a long time in coming nad i want to tell you how much i appreciate the time effort and years you put into this book.
                      Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Fortunately we aren't looking at years any more, maybe months or hopefully weeks before it hits the street. I hope the compliment is warranted once you get it in hand.Jim

Originally posted by Mike Brase View Post
                        This is the book i have been waiting for. It has been a long time in coming nad i want to tell you how much i appreciate the time effort and years you put into this book.
                        Mike

Comment

Just a short update. Talked with Schiffer and the books are due in to their warehouse by the end of the month. It should hit the retail stores in August.Jim

Comment

Thanks for the info Jim

Comment

Just got off the phone with Schiffer and the books have arrived and orders are being processed.Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X