Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early days of Hitler's Germany recommendations please

Hi,

If anyone can please recommend books on early days of time when Nazis came to power in Germany. I'm looking for book that includes memories of ordinary citizens, it can also be a fiction novel not just memoirs. I'm interested how everyday life was changed over the months.
    Has to be in english. Also a movie will do.
    Any recommendations are welcomed!

Thanks in advance,
    Toivo

The Klemperer Diaries 1933-45...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klemperer-Di...259612&sr=1-22
    ...quite a hard book to get in to but well worth sticking with to see how the daily life of a Jew married to a German wife in Dresden was affected by the policies of the Third Reich on a human level.

Hitler: Hubris by Ian Kershaw - Vol 1 of two (Vol 2 - Hitler: Nemesis) probably the best biography of Hitlers early years and rise to power.

The Coming Of The Third Reich / The Third Reich In Power / The Third Reich At War by Richard Evans - 3 volume set charting the rise of the Third Reich and it's affects on the German population. His translation style of some German words such as Libstandarte, Gauleiter etc can be abit annoying and is often critised but the author does explain his reasoning in the introduction.

The Rise & Fall Of The Third Reich
    by Willian Shirer - an absolute classic.

Comment

The Klemperer Diaries 1933-45...
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klemperer-Di...259612&sr=1-22
      ...quite a hard book to get in to but well worth sticking with to see how the daily life of a Jew married to a German wife in Dresden was affected by the policies of the Third Reich on a human level.
      Thank you very much!
      This is what I was looking for. If anyone knows any other book of this sort please let me know.

Toivo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X