GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Opinions on Barbarossa by Alan Clark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Opinions on Barbarossa by Alan Clark?

It's been on my shelf for a few years and finally picked it up a few nighst ago. The prologue kind of left me feeling like I just wasn't going to enjoy reading the book.

Is this book worth plowing through, or are there better tomes out there?

Thanks in advance,
    Blar

That is one of my favourite WW2 books. I liked it from the start when I first read it years and years ago - recommend it highly. He also has a recommendable (though short) book on Crete - I have a 1st edition hardback of it in front of me at the moment ! Barbarossa is a brilliant book in my view.

Comment

It's a decent enough book but a bit dated now and there are better books out there that have had the advantage of more recently released historical documents.

Comment

Dated but good book. Glantz is more of an authority on Barbaross and there is also Harrison's history of the Eastern Front, though his books are very hard to read.

Comment

Its a must read !

Nick

Comment

Its a classic. Sure, there are more detailed books or works that take advantage of recently available information, but Alan Clark's book has withstood the test of time for several decades. It is a great read and will not lead you astray.

Comment

Thanks guys. Just what I was looking for. I actually put it down and picked up Patton: A Genius for War. But you've convincd me that I should give it a second chance.

Blair

Comment

D'EsteĀ“s Patton-bio you mentioned is definitely the best military personality biography I have ever read! I wish there were similar ones on some German generals as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X