soldat by siegfried knoppe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soldat by siegfried knoppe

anyone ever read this memoir of a German officer?

Hi,
    Yes I read this last year, my mother in law gave it to me, after she had read it.
    A good book, though the layout was a bit strange, as he starts at the end of the war.

JerryB

Comment

Originally posted by VonBond View Post
      Hi,
      Yes I read this last year, my mother in law gave it to me, after she had read it.
      A good book, though the layout was a bit strange, as he starts at the end of the war.

JerryB
      yes i ve just started reading it , it is a bit back to front

Comment

If I remember, he mentions not knowing about the 'nastiness' of the camps, etc...
        but all in all I enjoyed it.

JerryB

Comment

It's a very good book, and Siegfried was a very kind man - I recall reading his book, front to back, all in one night . . .

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328442&highlight=siegfried+knappe

I also recall when he passed away - not very long ago -

Knappe, Siegfried* - News Death Notice KNAPPE, Siegfried age 91 of Cincinnati, OH, passed away on Monday, December 1, 2008.

Looking back, I regret that I did not maintain contact with him . . . he was very pleasant to speak with, and I could only imagine all of the untold stories that he could have shared . . .

Another lesson in life that further binds my belief in Carpe Diem.

Comment

what a privelige thank you for posting that link

Comment

Hello.

I read this a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to read it in chronilogical order which was clearly the way it had been written.

I suppose the the co-writer or editor decided to be arty with it (probably after watchingPulp Fiction!).

Great book. I was suprised he left his family again at the end of the war to get a foot into America.

I actually felt sorry for him when he fell out with Weildinger.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by VonBond View Post
                If I remember, he mentions not knowing about the 'nastiness' of the camps, etc...
                but all in all I enjoyed it.

JerryB
                That's the part that bothered me as well. IIRC, I can also recollect some attempts at justification of brutal war against Soviets later on in the book, which made me doubt the objectivity on the author's part. Otherwise, fairly smooth read with lots of interesting historical info, particularly as it depicts last days in Hitler's bunker - from the young officer's perspective.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X