Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when a famous WW2 author steals your photo and publishes it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when a famous WW2 author steals your photo and publishes it?

For about 10-12 years ago I sent a paper copy of one one my photos, which I had received straight from the Norwegian volunteer vet that took it. It was sent to a well known author for his personal "archives". I have now found out that he has published this photo in one of his books about foreign volunteers without asking for permission. The book has also been translated to Spanish. It was published in 2004. In the reference, he has given himself credit for the photo.

What to do?

Erik

Oouch, thats really bad . Who´s the author?

Comment

The author is Christopher Ailsby. The book is Hitler's Renegades. And here is the picture.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good grief, not Ailsby again. (I see the pinned thread on him has been removed) Jacques

Comment

The silly thing is that if he would have asked, I would of course have given him permission and also provided him with a sharper image. I could also have helped him with more pictures and also the correct information. The caption in the book is wrong. This photo is only one of a whole series. I am all about sharing, but not stealing!

I only found this out by coincidence last month when I visited a collector friend in Mexico who showed me the book.

The photo is actually from the Police School in Kongsvinger, Norway. It has really nothing to do with Waffen SS volunteers. It shows 3 cadets, all wearing Norwegian M31 helmets. My freind is in the middle. Many of these police cadets later went on to become SS volunteers.

Comment

Hi Erik,

Same happened to me with an author, severall photos from my collection.

I didn't have any problems for the photos to be used in his publications, only to find another name under the photos here and there........

Not that much one can do about it.

His word against yours, from another source, via via etc.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Thread is still there. In fact, if you google Chrispher Ailsby it comes up as one of the top links:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=398374

Comment

Very naughty of him...just not cricket is it!!!
                Cheers, Steve
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

maybe you should write your own book --"tr collectings renegades " and feature a pic of Ailsby within it!

Comment

Ouch! That happened to me too when Derrick Wright published a photo that I had sent..at least he gave me credit for it! Write and tell him his caption is wrong.

-Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X