Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totenkopf By Charles Trang, your opinion about this book.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totenkopf By Charles Trang, your opinion about this book.

After reading reviews in which was stated many photos are not well reproduced or even of bad quality, the translation is lousy and the overall text is full of errors, i am now hesitating to buy the book.
    I am interested in this book, mostly for it's photos but the text is also important to me.
    What is your take on this book, are you also negative about the quality of the photos and text in this book?

Buy it

? Nah, if you like TK you gotta buy it.

Comment

At least one person on this forum must have the book!
      I do not want to spend my money on a book that is lacking quality.

Comment

Jan, its been some time since I examined the book. I don´t remember how the translation was, but I do recall some PCish comments here and there, like the one that "because SS soldiers were so thoroughly politically indoctrinated in racial motives, they shot so many photos of e.g. French colonial troop POWs". I don´t know if Trang himself was responsible for that kind of BS caption.

The photo quality did have some problems. Especially odd were the not so few photos credited to National Archives (US) which were heavily pixelized. On the other hand, at the end of the book is a section on the regiment Thule, and those photos are excellent to the last.

Comment

Thank you for your opinion.
          I made my mind up and i will wait for another book to be released about the Totenkopf division instead of buying this one made by Charles T..

Comment

Trang

I'm not impressed w/any of Trang's work.

Take "Kreigsberichter Franz Roth" The only conclusion one can have about the book is Roth never learned how to use a camera or..........

Comment

TK book by Trang

Trang's book on Kreigsberichter Roth was indeed poor but less on account Roth was such a bad photograher than due to Trang purposely not taking the time to develop the chosen photos properly from the archive contact sheets. Some of those photos are of indeed better quality as they can be seen in other works in more focus. I am somewhat disappointed Trang published the book on Roth as such and I know sales suffered on account of the quality. I am informed his latest on Kreigsberichter Augustin is better, but as I have not had the chance to look at this work on Augustin, I cannot make a comprehensive judgement. I purchased Trang's newest; "LAH Archives," and thought the book to be ok, and better than the one on Roth. If one is intent on trying to collect as many period photos of the premier WSS units during the early campaigns, the books have some merit to acquire. I guess it simply depends on your perspective. Trang's works do not have the attractive layout as those from Fischer, but they do allow readers and enthusiasts to view more of the period contact sheet photos. As so many WSS photos were ordered destroyed during the last months of the war, we are left with what can be found in archives or from veteran albums that collectors sometimes share on forums such as these. I am hoping more can be acquired in many unsorted archive lists one day, but until that time...

Comment

ya man

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                ? Nah, if you like TK you gotta buy it.
                my man, you should go write a book on totenkopf compiling a TK topic is a mean feat and should not be undertaken by any tom dick or harry !!

Comment

This might be a good alternative?

ϟϟ Totenkopf France 1940

Comment

"Soldiers of destruction" is a good book IMO
                    Regards
                    Greg

Comment

i have the book and enjoyed reading it , maybe not as concise as some , but i ll read it again

Comment

I thought it was a good book. I particularly liked the listing of officers at the back who commanded various components of the Division down to a low level (can't remember off the top of my head if it is down to Rgt, Btl or Kompanie level).

Comment

For "Totenkopf" in detail try the multi volume study "Soldaten, Kampfer, Kameraden"

Something in depth needed on any "Totenkopf" facet, though many assume they can write a book in a week and most people don't read anyway (just look at photos).

My "Totenkopf" volume is coming withing my series, but is 3 volumes away so nothing in the "instant future".

But they will include officer lists beyond those copied direct off page by Trang.

Sydnor's decades old mistake filled book is only good for his advertisement as an "expert" on television for every possible WWII topic.

It is good for laughs as to what knowledge is required to obtain a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
                            at the end of the book is a section on the regiment Thule, and those photos are excellent to the last.
                            Are those included in the Totenkopf book the same as in his seperate Thule book also from 2008?

Comment

Originally posted by Dmv View Post
                              Are those included in the Totenkopf book the same as in his seperate Thule book also from 2008?
                              All books has different parameters and content based of what author wanted to write about.

My own volume I on "Totenkopf" releases this year, but it covers different aspects in a different degree of detail.

Vopersal's is the unit movement as an entity from Armee to Kompanie level at different times.

Mine is more its creation and development along with 10 specific categories of individuals. Do not have Trang's study, my own in similar print format came to 2 volumes of 500 pages each.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X