forgotten soldier movie cancelled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgotten soldier movie cancelled!

unfortunately several backers for the movie "the forgotten soldier" have pulled out and the movie has been cancelled! bloody shame

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
    unfortunately several backers for the movie "the forgotten soldier" have pulled out and the movie has been cancelled! bloody shame
    Indeed a pitty. It whould be a great movie. Do you know what the reasons for cancelling the movie where? I read something about the recession and insufficient funds or something.

Comment

Originally posted by general1900 View Post
      Indeed a pitty. It whould be a great movie. Do you know what the reasons for cancelling the movie where? I read something about the recession and insufficient funds or something.
      yep thats right , also incredibly ,whites fighting whites (with plenty of dialogue) is not condusant with making money , when taking the worldwide target audience into account !

Comment

Wow...That really sucks. I was really looking forward to this one. That was one of my favorite books. If they can make "Enemy at the Gates"....Oh well, guess we wont be seeing many WWII pictures then...
        Mike

Comment

That is surprising, given the success of foreign-made WW2 movies here in the US, such as Downfall, Black Book, Das Boot etc.
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

A damn shame! Such a powerful book, I had only hoped the movie could be half as good. Won't have to worry about that now.
            best wishes,
            jeff
            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

I have worked as an extra in a couple of movies, very small, non-speaking parts so I am no expert in that field but from what I saw, it sure seemed like movies could be made at a lot less cost than what I hear they cost.
              I would like to hear of a bunch of reenactors getting together with some students who are taking classes on film-making and make a war movie.
              From some of the garbage I see on TV anymore, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a better picture than some of that trash.

Remember "Easy Rider" was made for practically nothing and made millions at the box office. Some others have done well too without the outrageous budgets.

Comment

a great pity IMO...
                Cheers, Steve
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley ā€” Duke of Wellington

Comment

Cancellation of Forgotten Soldier

Frankly I am not surprised the movie was cancelled given the economy. The scale of the book was epic, and to have completed the picture to compliment the quality of the written work would have been very expensive. Given the high quality of those war films that have succeeded; I can imagine the backers felt that sinking large costs into an expansive film would have been daunting. Moreover, Paul Verhoeven has a horrible reputation for directing large pictures; and those films with a historical bent are not his forte. Movies that tend to not have naked ladies or any need of a sensual motif lose him! Just look at how poorly he did Starship Troopers (many in Hollywood still "rue the day" he was given charge of that film!). Moreover, Black Book, which is one of his recent accomplishments was completed on his home turf and had a relatively small budget..not to mention enough of a sexual theme to keep him interested in doing the film correctly. I am sorry guys, I for one am not sorry the film is cancelled given that I firmly feel Verhoeven would have screwed it up, and that the funding simply was not available to make it correctly.

Comment

Oh crap....this is one movie that I would have spent money on. I hope there is another shot for this film. I remember hearing about the X-Men movies years before they were ever actually produced. When the right director and finances came along they were fianlly made. I hope this is what happens to this movie. Of course you could just have Tom Hanks in the lead role and it will do a zillion dollars. It doesn't matter if he fits the mold or not.

Comment

Oh crap, indeed. I was looking forward to seeing the movie. Love the book.

Comment

Maybe it's a good thing it got cancelled. I can't envisage a movie of this book ever living up to our expectations.

Comment

This are sad news indeed, but again as other have said the director chossen for the task was not the best option for this type of movie so maybe is for the best.

I just hope the same happens to the movie about "killing" Rommel operation, the director who have the rights for the movie is the one called "Mr.Crazy Angle Shoot" Bruckheimer.....I saw the Pearl Harbor film by him, my personal opinion is.....NO,NO,NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_New...3651220539428/

Comment

But isnĀ“t the excellent Black Hawk Down produced by Bruckheimer, as is e.g. the action masterpiece Con Air?

Comment

Originally posted by DennyB View Post
                              I have worked as an extra in a couple of movies, very small, non-speaking parts so I am no expert in that field but from what I saw, it sure seemed like movies could be made at a lot less cost than what I hear they cost.
                              I would like to hear of a bunch of reenactors getting together with some students who are taking classes on film-making and make a war movie.
                              From some of the garbage I see on TV anymore, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a better picture than some of that trash.

Remember "Easy Rider" was made for practically nothing and made millions at the box office. Some others have done well too without the outrageous budgets.
                              That's just it Denny people today want to see the stupid crap on TV like "My name is Earl" and such cause they've got the same mentality rate as these shows. I'm so sick of all the reality shows too that are on now, Ok they were great when they first came on but now they're just drones.....

Joe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X