Movie - "The Road" This Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie - "The Road" This Thanksgiving

Just saw previews to the new movie "The Road" coming out this thanksgiving. If its anything like the book its gonna be a definite must see. I read the book, and it was probably one of the best books I ever read. "Word of Caution"
    If the movie is anything like the book, it is absolutely not for the squimish

book

That is funny, I thought the book was the worst book that I have ever read. Its pretentious and the author is trying to be Hemingway. The story goes nowhere, the characters are completely one dimensional and every page seems to have the same conversation:

"I'm scared, Papa"
    "Don't be"
    "Let's just go"
    "We can't"
    "You won't leave me?"
    "No, I won't leave you"

This is a review from Amazon, that I agree with 100%:

"The author wrote. Short sentences. Clipped and cold, like the air of his novel. Ash covering everything. He stumbled forward.

Why dont we use apostrophes, Papa?
    I dont know. We dont use quotation marks either.
    Is it confusing?
    Maybe. But we do use pathetic fallacy.
    What's pafethic phallacy?
    Pathetic fallacy. "To signify any description of inanimate natural objects that ascribes to them human capabilities, sensations, and emotions."
    Oh. Like the weather? Like nature?
    Yes, like nature.
    Does it hate us?
    No, it doesn't hate us. But the author does. He wants to manipulate emotional responses in readers to our relationship by making us suffer. He wants to explore me, an ordinary man, in an extraordinary circumstance.
    Is it interesting?
    Not really. "

Comment

Book

Well, as the saying goes, not everone likes everything. There were a few of us who did enjoy the book, including the people who awarded it the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction in 2006, and the people who hand out that little award called the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2007. It also made ( oh God don`t make me say this) Oprah Winfreys Book Club in 2007. Entertainment Weekly named it the best book, fiction or non-fiction, of the last 25 years. So again I say, there were a few of us who did think it was an awesome book and well worth the read.

Comment

I have not read the book, but am interested. What is it about? Does it have anything to do with Nazis? I am afraid to look for fear of spoiling it..

Sounds cool.

Comment

Wer?

Who is Oprah?

Comment

book

Zack,
            Just google "The Road" and click on to the Wikipedia link. It`ll explain it all.

Comment

On hold from local library!

Comment

Thanks Chris! This book is great!

Comment

I have not read the book, but (until reading this thread) I have heard nothing but high praise for the book.

The film was fantastic. I certainly made you very uncomfortable at times and is pretty depressing but I would recommend it to everyone. Vigo is quite the actor!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Who is Oprah?
                    Didn't she start that "Grand Ol'" thing, in Nashville?
                    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ilse View Post
                      That is funny, I thought the book was the worst book that I have ever read. Its pretentious and the author is trying to be Hemingway. The story goes nowhere, the characters are completely one dimensional and every page seems to have the same conversation:

"I'm scared, Papa"
                      "Don't be"
                      "Let's just go"
                      "We can't"
                      "You won't leave me?"
                      "No, I won't leave you"

This is a review from Amazon, that I agree with 100%:

"The author wrote. Short sentences. Clipped and cold, like the air of his novel. Ash covering everything. He stumbled forward.

Why dont we use apostrophes, Papa?
                      I dont know. We dont use quotation marks either.
                      Is it confusing?
                      Maybe. But we do use pathetic fallacy.
                      What's pafethic phallacy?
                      Pathetic fallacy. "To signify any description of inanimate natural objects that ascribes to them human capabilities, sensations, and emotions."
                      Oh. Like the weather? Like nature?
                      Yes, like nature.
                      Does it hate us?
                      No, it doesn't hate us. But the author does. He wants to manipulate emotional responses in readers to our relationship by making us suffer. He wants to explore me, an ordinary man, in an extraordinary circumstance.
                      Is it interesting?
                      Not really. "
                      Priceless!

I did read his book No Country for Old Men and enjoyed it quite a lot.

-Bryant

Comment

saw this movie recently and wish i did'nt.....its crap !

Comment

I have read the book, and i can be placed in the 'over-rated' column.

The mini review linked above made me smile. The most distracting thing for me was indeed the dialogue, specifically the endless repetition of;

Ok?
                          Ok.

And the odd way speech is recorded on the page. The premise is fine in the standard post-apocalyptic genre but the wriiten method of portraying speech just broke the immersion for me as i was reading.

Will no doubt watchg the film at some point to compare.

Comment

since you guys have read the book ..the movie made the point of showing two guys near the end of the movie with no thumbs on their hands ...did they chop them off and eat them ? seems strange as the last guy at the end of the move " guy pierce " had a shotgun so try shooting that with no thumbs !

Comment

"The Book of Eli" is similar in some respects (post-apocalyptic; lack of food), but is better than The Road, imho.
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X