Boy In the Striped Pajamas- Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy In the Striped Pajamas- Review

I feel very bad burdenin the forum with such rubbish, but others must be warned. I know it is old, but I just saw it.

For starters, the entire plot of " The Boy In The Striped Pajamas (2008, Mirimax, Directed By Mark Herman) is almost making a mockery of one of the greatest crimes in History, The Holocaust. This bothers me. A lot. It does this by making up an irrational plot to tell a touching story about a nine year old. The truth is that there were no nine year olds a Auschwitz. They were simply not old enough to work, and therefore exterminated upon arrival. Terrible but true. If there was in fact a nine year old at Aushwitz, he would not be able to sit in an area for long hours and carry on a conversation, with the Commandant's son, no less.

There is now way in Gods name that the Commandant's son could have snuck into Auschwitz and get gassed. No way. No How.

Some inaccuracies that have been noted:

Silky National Banners at opening- originals would be heavy wool

Wrong Anthem when father walks down stairs

Everything was British. The Songs, mannerisms, words, everything. Does not fit in with movie

Bruno would have been indoctrinated from a very early age. He should have already known what he was just being taught about Jewish and what not. We've all seen the Anit Semetic Children's Books.

I am no expert in tunics/SS, but what I saw in uniforms was quite odd to me....

What does this movie teach us? Anyone?

LandZack's Rating:

If you want an accurate account of what really happened, read Night by Elie Weisle.

Remember the Holocaust. Never forget. Do not twist.

thanks to IMBD for some information
    Last edited by LandZack2013; 11-07-2009, 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by LandZack2013 View Post
    I feel very bad burdenin the forum with such rubbish, but others must be warned. I know it is old, but I just saw it.

For starters, the entire plot of " The Boy In The Striped Pajamas (2008, Mirimax, Directed By Mark Herman) is almost making a mockery of one of the greatest crimes in History, The Holocaust. This bothers me. A lot. It does this by making up an irrational plot to tell a touching story about a nine year old. The truth is that there were no nine year olds a Auschwitz. They were simply not old enough to work, and therefore exterminated upon arrival. Terrible but true. If there was in fact a nine year old at Aushwitz, he would not be able to sit in an area for long hours and carry on a conversation, with the Commandant's son, no less.

There is now way in Gods name that the Commandant's son could have snuck into Auschwitz and get gassed. No way. No How.

Some inaccuracies that have been noted:

Silky National Banners at opening- originals would be heavy wool

Wrong Anthem when father walks down stairs

Everything was British. The Songs, mannerisms, words, everything. Does not fit in with movie

Bruno would have been indoctrinated from a very early age. He should have already known what he was just being taught about Jewish and what not. We've all seen the Anit Semetic Children's Books.

I am no expert in tunics/SS, but what I saw in uniforms was quite odd to me....

What does this movie teach us? Anyone?

LandZack's Rating:

If you want an accurate account of what really happened, read Night by Elie Weisle.

Remember the Holocaust. Never forget. Do not twist.

thanks to IMBD for some information
    Dude, that's a tad harsh...perhaps fair comments but I watched this with my daughter (11) and she was prompted to ask some great questions and I think got the right message from the pic...historical inaccuracies notwithstanding.
    Cheers, Steve
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Sometimes you just have to take a film for what it is - a film, a piece of entertainment (although considering the subject matter 'entertainment' is probably not the best word but I'm sure you can see where I am coming from). Sometimes don't look too deeply into it and just watch it for what it is. Maybe the film makers didn't want to make everything historically perfect as they wanted to concentrate on the story, however implausible it may be. Have you seen the Jude Law film Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow? (Yes, I know, a pants film). If so are you up in arms that a P-40 fires grappling hooks and flies between the legs of giant robots???

I don't think the film is based in Auschwitz - it's just meant to be a KZ, not a particular one however close any references may be. And as for the mannerisms of the characters - looking at previous recent war fims, British is the new German (Schindlers List, Conspiracy, Valkyrie!)

Yes, it is a serious subject matter but the film makers are just trying to tell a fictional story.
      Last edited by hucks216; 11-08-2009, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Ok.. I was a little harsh. Good point made about your daughter Steve. I guess I did not really think about it being for kids. Now that I realize that It was made for entertainment, I guess it is not as bad. I need to just quit watching movies made post 45 and get my copy of "The Triumph of The Will". I guess I just got a little carried away. Please forgive me for not taking it for what it is.

Yes, I saw Sky Captain.. I was kinda confused by that one

About it being Aushwitz, Auchwitz was the only camp with four Creamatoriums. In the scene when the father is reviewing plans, you see four creamatoriums.

... Oh dear, I was critical...

Comment

I can see how it could get under the skin of many who crave historical accuracy.
          However, the film & book where not basically about Auswitch as such. In parts not even about the Holocaust.
          That is where the writer set his story, for better or for worse.
          I think the good point has already been said, if it gets a new generation to ask questions & take notice of the holocaust then i can live with it.
          The book & film has many messages, especially dealing with the differences between children & adults. Especially the things we lose when we grow up.
          For instance, when the teacher tries to teach the little boy that Jews are evil the boy just cannot accept it whereas his elder sister who is on the verge of adulthood is far readier to let hatred into her life without even questioning.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X