Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments on "Uniforms" book

Does anyone have any comments regarding a book entitled:

"UNIFORMS OF THE THIRD REICH: A Study in Photographs" by A. Haynes & J. Maguire.

As the name of the books says, the contents includes approx. 400 color photos of german wwII uniforms.

I guess my question is; Is this book recommended as a reference source for unifroms and are most of the pics in the book accurate examples i.e. are all (most) of the illustrations original?

I thinking about buying this book but would like to get some feedback from forum members on this first. The cost of the book is about $75 US.

Thanks,

Al

I have the book. It's not really a reference, but a coffee table type book. Very nice photos of what I believe to be original uniforms, but no detail to speak of.

Comment

pretty pictures of mostly good stuff (for the Heer section). Andy has it right...coffee table book
      CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Andy and Scott for the fast reply and comments on the book.

I had a brief look at the book and from what I could see, there appeared to be some pretty good quality pics of uniforms - but as you said, the book is really more of a coffee table book, rather than a reference with regard to descriptions, mtls, makers, etc.

I appreciate your comments,

thanks,

Al

Comment

If you are looking for reference material, the Hayes & Maguire book isn't going to fit the bill. Better to spend your money on the Angolia series.

The book is a bit pricey, however, I enjoy it. There are some very nice uniforms featured that are unobtainable to the majority of us.
          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

I'll fourth what has been said. The book is a great "wish book" with great photos and some amazing general uniforms from advanced collections. If you want detail though, got with the Shclicht/Angolia series for the branch specified (heer, kriegs, luftwaffe) and then got with Gary Wilkin's book for headgear.

If you just want a good book with fantastic photos, I would get it. I still enjoy that book and hte ones on headgear even though there is no information in them.

Comment

Thanks Thomas and Chris for the additional comments - Angolia it shall be for my next reference book purchase.

BTW, the local military shop does have a copy of Gary Wilkens book on "Head Gear" - I think I'll also go for that one.

Once again thanks for the help guys,

Al Ross

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X