Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Good Book/miltaria Stores In Manhattan

Hi,

I am spending Christmas week in New York, I have a hotel in Manhattan, just wondered if any New York members can recommend any good book stores that carry military books, or if there are any military shops in the area?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark--
    What days are you going to be in town? I'm actually departing Manhattan on Christmas Eve but I'm here Monday and Tuesday? PM me if you have a minute to say hello.

As for shops there isn't a whole lot. The only military shop on the island I knew of closed a few years ago. There is one military shop that I know about in Queens, and it is close to the N/R Subway line. It called Sparrs and I can recommend them as being straight shooters. The only problem is that they don't get a lot of stuff.

As for military book shops try the only one I know about:
    Military Bookman
    (212) 348-1280

I can recommend a few must-see historical things:

*The Intrepid Air & Space museum is nice. This is a World War II era aircraft carrier on the Hudson River. Even if it is cold there are plenty of planes and exhibits below the main flight deck.
    *New York Metropolitian Museum of Art -- They have a very fine collection or arms and armor.

Have a great visit to the Big Apple!

Cheers,

PS

Comment

Check out the Strand Bookstore (12th and Broadway). While their military section is not real deep, they often have some good items there. And there are always the other 5 miles of shelves to look at.

Downstairs in the review books, they'll often have new books before the retail stores get them (and at half cover price). Those are shelved alphabetically by author, so you have to know some authors' names or you're doomed to walk around bent over sideways looking at titles.

Comment

when I had a day to kill in NYC this fall, I found a surplus store just off times square (maybe 2 blocks east?) granted it wasn't a serious shop by any definition, but it offered quite a variety of items.
        If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Originally posted by Ardennes
          when I had a day to kill in NYC this fall, I found a surplus store just off times square (maybe 2 blocks east?) granted it wasn't a serious shop by any definition, but it offered quite a variety of items.
          That surplus store is Kaufman's Army and Navy. It is on 42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenue, across from the Port Authority Bus Station. The owner's name is Jim and he is a very knowledgeable man.

The shop does have a few surprises and the occasional rare item. I should have included it as a must-visit. Plus its close to the Intrepid Air & Space museum.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied appreciate your time and insight, I'll report in when I get back

Happy Holidays

Mark

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu
            That surplus store is Kaufman's Army and Navy. It is on 42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenue, across from the Port Authority Bus Station. The owner's name is Jim and he is a very knowledgeable man.

The shop does have a few surprises and the occasional rare item. I should have included it as a must-visit. Plus its close to the Intrepid Air & Space museum.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X