Then and Now Books & 'After the Battle' Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then and Now Books & 'After the Battle' Magazine

For great info on a range of WW2 topics I can thoroughly recommend the Then & Now series of hard backs as well as the quarterly 'After the Battle' magazine.
    For those who don't know the concept - this books and magazines cover some aspect of WW2 by telling the story and illustrating it with pictures taken at the time (the 'then' part of the title) with the same 'view' today (the 'now' part of the title).

I've got the hard backs covering the Third Reich, The Fall of Berlin, Panzers in Normandy, Occupation of the Channel Islands, Blitzkrieg in the West and all three volumes of the Blitz - really well researched and written material and it's quiet exciting to be able visit WW2 sites and match up photographs taken during WW2 and indeed locations featured and match them up.

To stand on the same spot or touch a wall that figured in history sends shivers down the spine.

If I am not making sense tale a look at www.afterthebattle.com

Some other web resources that I found after some searching.

Sobering Sites of Nazi Europe
    http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...y/nazigerm.htm

most of use know this one... Third Reich in Ruins
    http://www.thirdreichruins.com/

BERLIN BATTLEFIELD GUIDE: Third Reich and Cold War

and the Pastfinder series... by Maik Kopleck
    Ive not read these books, so if you have, please post a review for us, will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

ATB Books and Magazine

I can only agree with the comments regarding After the Battle publications.

They are by far the best books I have and pretty much the only books I buy without looking at in a shop first and then ordering. The research and information is fantastic and I have used them several times in trips to Normandy and Falaise to go and do the 'then and now' experience.

It's a weird feeling standing in the town of Villers-Boacge looking at a picture of a tiger tank and standing in exactly the same spot.

I'm not connected with ATB at all so this isn't a sales pitch....just happy to own all the books regarding WW1 and WW2 and all the magazines...(just plain boasting ).

Comment

I agree but need much more coverage of the war in the Pacific! Most publications just deal with the European front.

-Eric

Comment

The best magazine ,nothing else compares.And no advertising except there own for back issues.Brian

Comment

Originally posted by peleliuexplorer View Post
            I agree but need much more coverage of the war in the Pacific! Most publications just deal with the European front.

-Eric
            Agree, but much less left to actually see in the case of many Pacific events/battles. Ground and jungle doesn't change much.

I like the Berlin and Third Reich "Then and Now" hardbound volumes best of those larger volumes I have.

Comment

great books took Berlin then and now to Berlin last month very imformative but there are still many other little gems to find with a bit of work .Also picked up Berlin 1933/1945 while there good little pocket book

Comment

Couldn't agree more. I can't recommend them enough. I have several of the hard back books and all are superb!

Only one complaint - none of the hard back books are yet to feature the eastern front!

Cheers

Ian

Comment

I fully concur with the positive comments concerning the 'After The Battle' books. They contain an excellent level of research and bring the present battlefield to life by the format of their presentation.

I have copies of:

The Somme - Then and Now

Flanders - Then and Now

Panzers In Normandy - Then and Now

Battle Of The Bulge - Then and Now

D-Day - Then and Now (2 volume Set)

Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in what remains of battlefields and relevant sites.

Regards Richard.
                  Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

These books are compelling reading

Nick

Comment

Been a fan of 'ATB' for many years.
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X