KISS - Sonic Boom !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KISS - Sonic Boom !

Well the Gods of Thunder are back soon with their 19th album. Sounds like it could be a decent set of tunes:

http://www.calgarysun.com/entertainm...29656-sun.html

KISS Boom rah!

New CD from the painted rockers the best in two decades
    What didn't go into KISS' new album Sonic Boom seems almost as important to Gene Simmons as what did.

"There are no ballads," the demon bassist growls down the phone from L.A. when asked about the band's first studio disc since 1998's Psycho Circus. "There are no keyboards. There are no synths. There are no girl background singers."

Of course, there's also no Ace Frehley and Peter Criss. The former lead guitarist and drummer have been replaced in the studio once again by touring members Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer. But a lack of original members didn't stop Gene and longtime partner Paul Stanley from taking an old-school, back-to-basics approach to their 19th album, eschewing outside songwriters, musicians and producers for a DYI MO.

"We literally sat in the room together and wrote songs together and then rehearsed them," explains the 60-year-old bassist. "And then Paul produced. If you were to pinpoint the vibe, it's probably (1976's) Rock and Roll Over, in that era. And every song sounds like that. It's just meat and potatoes. And that was our mandate."

Did they fulfil it? I'll be the judge of that. The disc -- to be sold exclusively in Walmarts packaged with a second CD of re-recorded KISS oldies and a live DVD -- isn't due for release until Oct. 6. But I've already heard it. And while I can't agree with Gene that it's the best KISS album in 30 years -- it's actually got more of an '80s vibe than a '70s one -- it's definitely their strongest work in two decades.

Here's a song-by-song preview:

Modern Day Delilah 3:37
    A funky guitar lick straight from the '70s hooks up with an '80s arrangement and a big chorus for a killer opener voiced by Paul. "Yeah, yeah!" are his first words. No argument here.

Russian Roulette 4:32
    Gene steps up to the mic on a gear-shifting stomper anchored by his grinding bass, dripping with his usual lascivious lyrics, and graced with a smoking Thayer solo. Two aces in a row.

Never Enough 3:27
    Another outsized '80s hair-metal arena-rocker from Paul -- but from the slinky guitars and bare-bones beat to Stanley's high-register vocals, it works. Three for three.

Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect) 3:03
    Gene's turn again -- and he dishes up a classic power-chord glam-slam that wouldn't have been out of place on Dressed to Kill. The best song so far. And that's saying something.

Stand 4:50
    Stanley and Simmons share the mic on a bombastically overblown stadium-rock anthem to solidarity and perseverance. It's even cornier than it sounds. The only stumble so far.

Hot and Cold 3:37
    Simmons gets the disc back on track with a punchy '70s-style cowbell rocker in the mold of Dr. Love. "Baby, feel my tower of power," leers Gene. Another wicked solo from Thayer.

All For the Glory 3:49
    Drummer Singer -- who wears Criss' gear and handles his tunes onstage -- shows off his raspy vocal prowess on this solidly driving number.

Danger Us 4:23
    Another classic riff -- there's a bit of God of Thunder in there, but faster and more fiery -- along with another wailing vocal from Paul. The punny chorus is the only drawback.

I'm an Animal 3:47
    Armed with a lumbering beat and a swaggering Zep-like guitar lick, Gene bellows out a dinosaur-stomper reminiscent of War Machine and I Love it Loud.

When Lightning Strikes 3:45
    As his reward for all his blistering Frehley-style fretwork, Thayer gets the vocal spotlight on this chunk of power-chord cowbell-plonk rock.

Say Yeah 4:27
    The guitars go from jangly to chugging and Paul plays with some echoing vocals on this Tears Are Falling-like closing anthem. You wanted the best? This time, you actually got it.

---
    KISS
    Sonic Boom
    In Stores Oct. 6

Kissy face

Well if I did listen to "KISS" I sure would not tell anyone. Why dont you put on some Stan Getz and relax or in the alternative a little "Stahlgewitter".

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      Well if I did listen to "KISS" I sure would not tell anyone. ".
      Why?

Seems like people have Kissaphobia and don't really know why. Someone said way back ... "It's NOT cool to listen to Kiss or admit you do" ...

There are a 100 bands that people listen to today I'd never admit to

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Well if I did listen to "KISS" I sure would not tell anyone. Why dont you put on some Stan Getz and relax or in the alternative a little "Stahlgewitter".
        Doc,
        I just took your advice, and poured a nice Asombroso Anejo, and just put "Getz/Gilberto" on the turntable.....(kids: have your parents explain what a turntable is...
        Great suggestion.......

Cheers,
        Bob.
        I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Originally posted by bobcam1 View Post
          Doc,
          .....(kids: have your parents explain what a turntable is...
          Great suggestion.......

Cheers,
          Bob.
          Bob I think you'd be surprised. The wife's had a turntable for over 35 years, Just a few years before we got married. I'm not exactly a kid (even though she thinks so ).

Think it's a Telefunken ... and the German's don't make things that last?

Comment

why all the hate towards kiss, without kiss many a rock band today would not be around, looking forward to the new cd hope its a long awaited return to form

Comment

Cool to see that there still is some KISS Fans out there, ive been one since 1977

Comment

KISS is STILL one of the best live shows I've ever seen!....I've heard the new CD, and while it's not their best effort, it really ROCKS, and has a real 80's sound....I like it a LOT!
                I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Apparently old Ace and Peter are not back with the band on the recent upcoming tour. I guess those demons are hard to kick Can't say they haven't been given more than enough chances to get straight.

Comment

Hello Never a big fan, but I saw them open for Aerosmith at the MGM in Vegas about 5 years ago. I thought they put on a very entertaining show. Kirby

Comment

ace has a new solo cd out this month its called anomaly

Comment

To each their own, I always thought they were a joke. Now a half joke with half the members.

After watching his reality show at a friend's house, Simmons' greed level matches many militaria dealers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X