Max Manus - Man of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max Manus - Man of War

Stupid title for the UK release, must have put more people off than anything else. Man of War! do me a favour, sounds like a WWF dvd.

Glad I bought it though. It was really enjoyable. Not as much action as I was expecting but none the worse for that. Very well shot and the acting is good and not cheesy although I felt that they could have tried to expand on the personality of Manus a bit more. Also, his actions during the Finnish/Russian battles would really have made it a lot more interesting.

Best performance by far was by Agnes Kittelsen. She is so natural and beautiful, it's like watching the old screen greats like Maureen O'Hara or Rita Hayworth. A huge talent there and I hope to see more of her on the screen. Ok yes, I am a little bit in love with her but that's says a lot of someone who maybe is on screen for 15 minutes in total that I've never seen before.

The scene at the end where Manus sees his dead mates around him as if they were still alive and chatting away was quite stunning and moving although a little confusing at first, I thought my DVD player had jumped back to the start. Makes a refreshing change from the Hollywood method of battering you over the head with sentiment and melancholy.

Overall a very good movie. 7 out of 10 for me. Hopefully the same producers and directors can make another film anout WWII that's even better. What happened at Narvik for instance.

7 out of 10 is about right.

its a good film but it didnt blow me away

Comment

I just bought a DVD off eBay and watched it, pretty good movie! And I even hadn't heard about it until I read this thread.
      Recommendable.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post

Overall a very good movie. 7 out of 10 for me. Hopefully the same producers and directors can make another film anout WWII that's even better. What happened at Narvik for instance.

Funny you should mention that...There is a 'Narvik' film in the pipeline, it's early days yet but the project is moving along.

Sorry the article is in Norwegian.

http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/snop/article2786977.ece
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

They are paying me a fee for the idea!

That's great news Simon, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

If you liked Max Manus then you may well like a Danish Film called Flame & Citron which is about the Danish resisitance.

Comment

Just watch the DVD, excellent film

Comment

I enjoyed this movie, i have watched it twice on dvd and enjoyed it the second time round last week, nice to see a movie from the resistance side, Norwegian film industry did a good job !,..i would give it 7out 10 also.

Comment

Originally posted by FMS-Paul View Post
                  I enjoyed this movie, i have watched it twice on dvd and enjoyed it the second time round last week, nice to see a movie from the resistance side, Norwegian film industry did a good job !,..i would give it 7out 10 also.
                  I absolutly agree

Comment

Originally posted by Buckliger View Post
                    I absolutly agree
                    Me too I even got my one second of immortality in the movie wearing my own British camo smock
                    Attached Files

Comment

It (finally) came to Netflix. Good movie. Well done, high production values, and it had an authentic feel to it. I learned about events and people I had not heard of before. (ie, Manus' sinking of the Donau).

The SD captain, Fehmer, was even more of an SOB than he appeared to be on film.

This would make a good back-to-back with Flame & Citron.
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                        Stupid title for the UK release, must have put more people off than anything else. Man of War! do me a favour, sounds like a WWF dvd.

Glad I bought it though. It was really enjoyable. Not as much action as I was expecting but none the worse for that. Very well shot and the acting is good and not cheesy although I felt that they could have tried to expand on the personality of Manus a bit more. Also, his actions during the Finnish/Russian battles would really have made it a lot more interesting.

Best performance by far was by Agnes Kittelsen. She is so natural and beautiful, it's like watching the old screen greats like Maureen O'Hara or Rita Hayworth. A huge talent there and I hope to see more of her on the screen. Ok yes, I am a little bit in love with her but that's says a lot of someone who maybe is on screen for 15 minutes in total that I've never seen before.

The scene at the end where Manus sees his dead mates around him as if they were still alive and chatting away was quite stunning and moving although a little confusing at first, I thought my DVD player had jumped back to the start. Makes a refreshing change from the Hollywood method of battering you over the head with sentiment and melancholy.

Was Kittelson the SD Officers girl? She was right up there with Carice Van Houton. Those European girls have that retro glamour/sophistication that American actresses used to have in the 40's and 50s (but is now sorely lacking--just see "JLo).
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

OK--this is the SD officers girl--Viktoria Winge:
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Hi,

bought this DVD several months ago, and must admit that it did not make much of an impression on me.
                            After reading the comments here, I will watch the movie again; and maybe re-appraise my initial impressions.
                            Only watched it once, then filed it away amongst the rest of my DVD collection.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Very nice movie indeed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X