Sharpe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpe

Reading the Sharpe books and they are bloody excellent! Recomend them to anyone. PS Obadiah is the the best baddy ever! SHARPIE!!

the tv series is good

Never read the books...but heard one on tape and of course, saw every single episode of the English series....
    Simply Awesome.

and as just brought up in another thread Mr. Mollo of SS uniform book fame was a military uniform advisor for the Spanish, Brit and French uniforms,etc on the series.

Sean Bean plays Sharpe...and he does it extremely well.

you will like the way Obadiah is played.

Comment

sharpe

Have the series as well, it is fantastic also.

Comment

I tried to watch the series, but gave up after 30 minutes as the sound of electric quitar twanging in a film on Napoleonic era is not my cup of tea. In short, the score was so dreadful as to make the whole film unbearable. Such films need proper orchestral score.

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
          I tried to watch the series, but gave up after 30 minutes as the sound of electric quitar twanging in a film on Napoleonic era is not my cup of tea. In short, the score was so dreadful as to make the whole film unbearable. Such films need proper orchestral score.
          Due to this thread and me having a bit of free time, I took out my dusty bootleg videos of Sharpe's rifles and watched 4 hours worth late last night.
          I do agree that the electric guitar was a bit jarring, and out of place...and now dated...sounds too much like the late 80's!

But that being said...the singing of the soldiers themselves at least balances it out. Those ballads have got to be authentic.
          "Over the hills.... and far a-way....king George commands ...and we obey...."
          Actually haunting.
          I have to say these shows still stand up after all this time. They are really enjoyable...Much better than anything coming out of hollywood these days.

Comment

If speaking of Napoleonic era TV series, I think the Hornblower series (starring Ioan Gruffud) is the best by far.

Comment

sharpe

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
              If speaking of Napoleonic era TV series, I think the Hornblower series (starring Ioan Gruffud) is the best by far.
              Hornblower is great as well!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X