Private Schulz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Schulz

Anyone remember this...................???

Oh.............the theme music! (Liszt - Les Preludes a la Flash Gordon)

Oh.............the accurate uniforms!

Oh.............the nostalgia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXseKwLpFXk

This is a typical scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV3pK...eature=related

I was always impressed by ......................

The great acting;
    The wry humour; and
    The historical research carried out in the making of this great little series.

OK...............some little uniform mistooks, but not worth mentioning.

Comment

Private Schulz was a BBC television comedy drama mini-series starring Michael Elphick in the title role and Ian Richardson playing various parts. Other notable actors included Tony Caunter, Billie Whitelaw, Billy Murray and Mark Wingett.

It tells the story, over six one-hour episodes, of a German fraudster who tricks the Nazis into making counterfeit British five pound notes. Millions of which will be used to destroy the British economy. However, Schulz is primarily interested in stealing them.

It was based on several real life incidents: - The Venlo incident, when two British offiers were abducted from the Netherlands - The real though unrealised plot by the Germans, Operation Bernhard [1]. - Salon Kitty a Nazi sponsored brothel used to spy on its wealthy clients. - Sachsenhausen concentration camp counterfeiting operation.
      Additionally many of the main characters are real people, though occasionally under a different name.

It also starred Billie Whitelaw as a prostitute working in 'The Salon Kitty', where German officers were secretly recorded by the SS in the prostitutes' bedrooms. Whitelaw's character claimed to have a psychological block that prevented her sleeping with any soldier below the rank of major.

Comment

Robin--I had forgotten all about this show! It was shown on PBS in the early 80's here in the states. Definately underappreciated--thanks for the links....
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Its now available on BBC DVD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-Schu...6470343&sr=8-1

Comment

Blimey Robin,

Yes I do remember it!!

It was this program that made me interested in buying a £5 note from the 40's, unfortunatley I never got around to it in the 80's but have you seen the price of them now, makes me wish I did!!

Cheers

Graham

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X