A good book for beginners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good book for beginners?

Is this a good book for beginners with a general interest in P38s?

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/...lther-P38.html

There are a number of books of interest on the P-38 and the Walther line in general. The Gangarosa book is one.

There is the Buxton 3 volume series that has been printed in a second edition thus putting it in the price reach of many collectors. The Hoffschmidt survey booklet on the P-38 is useful. The older W.H.B. Smith Walther title is also useful for an overview of the entire Walther familiy of pistols from the Model 1 through to the P-38. The Rankin series volumes 1 through 3, and especially volume 3 might be of interest.

I warn you, collecting books about these wonderful pistols can be as addictive as collecting the actual guns themselves!

Good reading!
    Last edited by ramon; 11-23-2003, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Hello P08 and others,

I'm in need of the same advice as well, thanks for starting this thread.

Since this is as good a place as any to ask, maybe someone can offer up some recommendations for the K98, again for a beginner. Something in the way of 1 or 2 books that cover development & history, technical data, care & maintenance, manufacturers, codes, and possibly info relevant to the rifle as a collectible.

Like Ramon has already warned, it likely will be an all-out-pursuit once started

Thanks everyone, Vince
      (hope you don't mind me asking in your thread P08)

Comment

Vince

I don't mind at all. We're looking for the same kind of books here although on different guns, but the history, production, codes etc. are things that are important in both cases.

Ramon

Trust me I know already. I've been into cars for years. You can spend as much on books, souveniers, magazines etc. as on the car itself

If only I could develop an interest in something more economical like empty beer cans or something like that

Comment

Hey P08

When you begin the search for beer cans, please call me and I'll assist in the emptying part of the activity...

Hello Vince, for the K98, might I suggest you find a copy of Richard Law, Backbone of the Wehrmacht published by Collector Grade Publication. There is the first edition and then the Author's revised edition. The revised edition came about when the sniper chapter of the first edition was expanded into a volume unto itself entitled Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle. Both of these books are super and will provide much of the information you desire.

I also have the German language book by Albrecht Wacker entitled Das System Adalbert der K98k I have found this title useful.

Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ramon
            Hey P08

When you begin the search for beer cans, please call me and I'll assist in the emptying part of the activity...

Cheers

This is what I like about this homepage, people are so helpful

Comment

That's what I'm here for!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by P08
                This is what I like about this homepage, people are so helpful
                NO DOUBT!

I just CANNOT buy the K98 without first buying a book or two, Ramon
                I am totally inflexible in that regard . I will take that advice.

P08,

Easy on the new hobby there, you can quick run short of money - and space - collecting BEER (cans)

Best, Vince

Comment

Somewhere sometime, we started a thread that was on reference books alone. I remember on that thread we listed all the best books on guns, and what they specialized in. I suggest finding that thread, but I'll list a few for you right here.

For P38s, definately get Buxtons' books! He is the Number 1 P38 expert in the USA (if not, the world!).
                  I would also recommend Per Mathensens' book on P38 magazines. Very good information in there, and I really haven't seen another book devoted soley to P38 magazines!

For general pistols collecting (P38s included), I suggest getting both of Jan Stills' books, and also Vol. II and Vol III. of Bob Wittingtons' books.

As for K98s, Laws two books on the K98s are quite frankly "the law". (sorry no pun intended! )

Matt

Comment

Matt

Do you happen to know the ISBN number for Buxtons books? I know that the book shop will ask for that.

Comment

Originally posted by P08
                      Matt

Do you happen to know the ISBN number for Buxtons books? I know that the book shop will ask for that.
                      P08,
                      There are three books. The ISBN number of the first is:

0-87833-303-7

These are as good as it gets.

Ronnie
                      The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Books

Matt, P08 and the others,

Here is a thread that I started a while ago where we discussed some basic books about classic firearms.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=books

I think that it can be helpful!

Regards,

Douglas.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X