Excellent books on the SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent books on the SS

Over the course of the last 5 years I have noticed a lack of knowledge in some of the “SS” collectors when it concerns the history of SS. Here is a list of books that have greatly helped me in studying and researching the SS.

The Waffen SS: Hitler’s Elite Guard at War by Stein

The Black Corps: The Structure and Power Struggle of the Nazi SS by Robert Lewis Koehl

Anatomy of the SS State by Hans Buchheim, Martin Broszat, Hans-Adolf Jacobsen, Elizabeth Helmut Krausnick

Allegemeine SS: The Commands, Units and Leaders of the General SS by Mark Yerger.

thanks
    Derek

2 more:

Waffen-SS Commanders: The Army, Corps and Divisional Leaders of a Legend
    Vol 1 and 2
    by Mark Yerger

Comment

Thanks for the great advice! By the way, Mark writes awesome books!
      Best Wishes,
      Bob
      www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Wenn Alle Bruder Schweigen
        WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Ilse View Post
          Over the course of the last 5 years I have noticed a lack of knowledge in some of the “SS” collectors when it concerns the history of SS. Here is a list of books that have greatly helped me in studying and researching the SS.

The Waffen SS: Hitler’s Elite Guard at War by Stein

The Black Corps: The Structure and Power Struggle of the Nazi SS by Robert Lewis Koehl

Anatomy of the SS State by Hans Buchheim, Martin Broszat, Hans-Adolf Jacobsen, Elizabeth Helmut Krausnick

Allegemeine SS: The Commands, Units and Leaders of the General SS by Mark Yerger.

thanks
          Derek

I also resoundedly agree with the inclusion of Dr. Koehl's "The Black Corps." It has so much history crammed into it (and all cited) that it is a great book. There is a paperback edition for very cheap.

Comment

Koehl's book and "Anatomy" are my 2 favorites to read multiple times. Koehl's is especially good for understanding the early SS and the other for details of the various branches written by multiple experts.

For detail and all the related material in it, I'd add Black's biography of Ernst Kaltenbrunner and Messenger's biography on Dietrich.

Can't remember the last time I saw an all photo book of use or interest so really have no favorites in that area. They all start to look the same. Just my opinion. I guess they're OK if all you know or want to know about the Waffen-SS is from TV shows.
            Last edited by Mark C. Yerger; 05-16-2009, 06:17 AM.

Comment

another book

I also recommend Nipe's " Last Victory in Russia: The SS-Panzerkorps and Manstein's Kharkov Counteroffensive - February-March 1943"

Comment

more books

Lehmann/Tiemann "Die Leibstandarte"

Nipe "Decision in the Ukraine"

Silgailis "Lavtian Legion"

Vopersal "Soldaten, Kampfer, Kameraden"

Weidinger "Division Das Reich"

Fürbringer “Die 9.SS-Panzer-Division “Hohenstaufen”

Meyer Kriegsgeschichte der 12. SS-Panzerdivision "Hitlerjugend"

Lepre "Himmler's Bosnian Division"

Agte "Peiper"

Schulz/Wegmann/Zinke "Die Generale der Waffen-SS and der Polizei "

Pencz "For The Homeland: The History of the 31st Waffen-SS Volksgrenadier Division"

Melnyk "To Battle, The formation and History of the 14th Waffen-SS Grenadier
                Division"

Messenger "Hitler's Gladiator"

Comment

Over the course of the last 5 years I have noticed a lack of knowledge in some of the “SS” collectors when it concerns the history of SS.
                  That has (regretfully) almost always been the case.

Very few 'SS collectors' have taken the trouble to research the 'real' history of the SS.

SS 'historians' these days tend to fall into one of two camps:

1. Those who get off on SS uniforms; and
                  2. Those who get worked up about the holocaust.

These were only parts of the SS story.

The rest is really fascinating..................but politically incorrect these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                    That has (regretfully) almost always been the case.

Very few 'SS collectors' have taken the trouble to research the 'real' history of the SS.

SS 'historians' these days tend to fall into one of two camps:

1. Those who get off on SS uniforms; and
                    2. Those who get worked up about the holocaust.

These were only parts of the SS story.

The rest is really fascinating..................but politically incorrect these days.
                    Lack of history type books shows up here, mostly in junk militaria because the owners are clueless of the who, when, what that appears on documents, etc.

Comment

This is a really great book................if you can find a copy.

TitleThe Allgemeine SS: (the General SS)
                      Basic handbookAuthorSupreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force. G-2 (Counter Intelligence Sub-Division)PublisherSupreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force, G-2 (Counter Intelligence Sub-Division), 1944

Comment

2 more:

Waffen-SS Commanders: The Army, Corps and Divisional Leaders of a Legend
                        Vol 1 and 2
                        by Mark Yerger
                        These are extremely good references...I look at them at least once a week and always find something new in them! Vol. I. pictured.
                        Attached Files
                        Cheers, Steve
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Over the course of the last 5 years I have noticed a lack of knowledge in some of the “SS” collectors when it concerns the history of SS.
                          You don't say . . .
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X