"the reader"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"the reader"

Anyone see this movie? I'm away on training and saw it. Thought it was alright, raised some interesting questions.
    Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

An unusual film . . .

Hi Seba,

Not your typical Hollywood Holocaust Film ...

There was no wartime scenes or footage in the film at all.

The film producers did an admirable job of depicting life in Germany from the 1950's through the 1970's. It's exactly as I remembered it then, which made me homesick for a Germany that no longer exists.

And yes, I agree - the film did raise some interesting questions.

MfG,

Diane
    Last edited by Diane; 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

The Reader

I remember reading this excellent book when it was first published in English, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it translated into film, in no small part due to the superb script by award-winning playwrite David Hare, and absolutely spot-on casting in Winslett, Fiennes and the actor playing the younger Fiennes.

To actually make such a compelling film (which certainly doesn't feel as long as it actually is) from a book which is mainly driven by characters and dialogue is quite an achievement, and like Diane I think it was all the better for not having any WWII flashbacks, the point being that we discover Winslett's past through the medium of the young boy and the trial.

Both the book and the film do raise some interesting questions about love, guilt, justice and redemption, so if you enjoyed the movie then I strongly recommend the book...it's not a light or easy read as such, but it is a rewarding one.

A good friend of mine served in Germany in the 1950s (he even remembers seeing German war graves in the Eiffel mountains still with helmets used as markers, a Para helemt on the grave of Oberjager Grimm still sticks in his memory) and he said the sections set in post-war Germany were not only very accurate but also really atmospheric.

SPOILER AHEAD...ONLY READ FURTHER IF YOU'VE SEEN THE FILM...

All said, it does niggle me as to whether her lack of reading and writing would not have been discovered during her time in thev SS...

All the best

Paul.

Comment

I thought it was a very good film. So much so that I saw it twice.

Reasons:

- The acting was very believable. Kate Winslet was superb.
        - Cinemetography was exceptional.
        - Set, costumes were very realistic.
        - The story line was easy to follow. No wasted film moments.
        - And finally, I can't complain seeing Katle Winslet without any clothes on.

Keep in mind, this was nominated for five Oscars.

Comment

It was a good film i enjoyed it

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X