Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the boy in the striped pyjamas question

hi all
    the dvd of this film is being released tommorow and i was looking forward to picking it up,but i just read that the british version has been cut to allow it to get a 12 rating does anyone know if this is correct, if it is ill buy a region 1 as i dont see the point in cutting a film for home use
    stu

The film

Originally posted by stuart anstee View Post
    hi all
    the dvd of this film is being released tommorow and i was looking forward to picking it up,but i just read that the british version has been cut to allow it to get a 12 rating does anyone know if this is correct, if it is ill buy a region 1 as i dont see the point in cutting a film for home use
    stu

Hi Stu,
    I just watched the movie and in my opinion it was a waste of time. The film is a great disservice to the Holocaust and the ending was ridiculous in my opinion. My wife also felt the same way. This film is not history or even close to the reality of the subject matter. The true horror of the Holocaust and how the camp system was conducted was not even taken into account.

I used to think the film Jacob the Liar was about as bad as you could get for a Holocaust film. This movie made that film seem like a documentary. Now if they would only finsh and release the 1972 Jerry Lewis Holocaust film The Day the Clown Cried.

Regards,
    Jody

Comment

I've seen this movie today, and found it entertaining. It was interesting for me at least to see the Hungarian scenes shot in the beginning of the film. And see at the end that almost all the people who were working on this movie were hungarians.

Since hungarian film making is damn weak and I think we can consider this a low budget movie, I would say it wasn't that bad.

Comment

I bought the movie a couple of days ago and enjoyed it. I watched it for what it was. It's not meant to be a factual historical drama, which it definitely isn't, more a movie about a story aimed at the younger generation. If it opens eyes to the holocaust and provides the seed for the 13 - 18 year old age bracket to ask questions and find out more about what actually happened then I think it will achieve it's goal.

Comment

As to your question regarding the cutting of the film for home viewing, I cannot comment as I do not know. But in relation to the film itself, It's very rare that I get to say this, but in my opinion it is actually better than the original book.

Countless times in the book it was implied that the camp was Auschwitz, or as the boy (Bruno) mis-heard it as "Out-with", also, his father's character referred to the Führer, or as the boy mis-heard it as "the Fury"
          I am aware that this book was aimed at children, but this blazing discrepancy annoyed the hell out of me. How the hell can the child use words from the English language if he is supposed to be speaking German?!!

At least the film despite its faults did not include any of this nonsense.

Sorry, rant over.
          - Danny

Comment

I haven't read the book, but these 2 mis-hearings are very pathetic.

Comment

I saw it with the wife a couple of weeks ago. Not for me, but I thought as a form of escapism it was fine for general audiences who wouldn't pick up on all the factual/histrical errors.

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X